OT. Gas stations memorys

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT. Gas stations memorys
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 07:53 pm:

Get ready for a trip on a time machine to a cool era. Great old gas stations, cars, rv's, and even a tire factory. Just click below and enjoy.

http://hipspics.freewebspace.com/gas/gas.html

Here is a surprise you will discover.
Alcohol

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 08:18 pm:

Some neat pictures.

Here's a local one from Rochester MN that's not in that link. It was built in 1940, and torn down in 1977.

This picture shows later pumps, but an earlier B&W picture I've seen shows Wayne Model 70 pumps were used there originally. I have a Wayne Model 70 with CO-OP lenses, and green & white paint under a brush-painted coat of red. Could be from this station??? I found it on a garage sale about 15 miles from there with no known history.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 10:37 pm:

Here are some facts about alcohol as an additive in fuel that I didn't know.
http://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_fuel_history.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 10:44 pm:

The third picture from the bottom in the link has to be in the St. Louis area. Adams Dairy was a local dairy here and Eagle Stamps were trading stamps in St. Louis and surroundings. Not only that, I am almost certain that it is a picture of Leach Service in Rock Hill, a St. Louis suburb. Tom Leach started the station in 1949 and my dad started buying gas and taking his cars there in 1950. Tom sold the station to his son Bob, and I started taking my cars there as well. Bob died a few years ago and his daughter Kelly is now running it. I still go there and so do my kids. The building pictured was torn down along the way and replaced with a much larger building with six service bays upstairs and another six downstairs.

I am not absolutely certain, but almost so....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 07:25 pm:

Neat stuff! Thank you.
A long, long long, LONG, time ago, there was a nearly intact original station from the 1920s in downtown San Jose CA. When I was in school, I used to ride my bicycle over (a couple miles from home) just to look at the details still there.
I figured it would suddenly disappear one day and be gone forever.
Fortunately, a few years later, I heard that it was taken down and moved to San Jose's Historic Park to be set up and preserved forever. That, I am glad of. However, I have never gotten over there to see it. I need to do that soon.

Thread drift alert!
My most vivid memory of a gasoline station, however, was the time I was hunkered down with my then 6 year old son in a restroom.
We were headed to Eureka to visit family when one of those kid's necessary potty stops caused us to pull into a station in Willits up on the 101. I figured that I would fill up the tank after turns were all taken. Linda and our daughter Laura were done. I took oldest son Robert in, and as we were preparing to leave the little room, police cars squealed in, officers jumping out, guns drawn, threats made at a couple guys that were getting gas and making a call in the phone booth. It was a tense several minutes as one of the guys decided to not be cooperative, the other already spread-eagle on the ground. Linda and Laura hiding low behind our van, I had Robert keep still in the restroom while I held the door open a crack watching closely both the action and youngest son Tim playing in the back of the van quietly by himself (the van side door was open wide). Tim was about 2 and had no idea what was going on. As long as he stayed put out of anyone's but my sight, I figured the safest thing was to let him be. Besides, he was sitting on the floor right behind the engine.
After really only a few minutes, the man in the phone booth surrendered and we were able to leave, no shots fired. I did however buy my gas at another station up the road. We found out later that the two men were driving a stolen car and known to be armed and dangerous.
So when you title a thread about Gas Station Memories, that is the first one that comes to my mind.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 06:53 am:

Eugene,

That link you provided is full of POO, not facts. For example it claims that "In 1908 Ford Motor Company's first car, the Model T, used ethanol corn alcohol gasoline as energy" which is utter nonsense on any number of levels. It is a sentence filled with lies that the author has added the words Model T Ford to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 06:16 pm:

I'd like to see that 1829 engine that ran on enthanol/turpentine. May be it was used to soak up the fire wood for a steam engine boiler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 06:31 pm:

In the 4th photo of the Texaco station I have the metal sign and stand that says "Registered Restrooms" and in the Gulf station photo I had the "Chysler Plymouth Approved Service" sign and bracket but my son now has it. (I hope!)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration