Tips for Dial Up Forum Users

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Tips for Dial Up Forum Users
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 07:39 am:

There are some folks who want to use the forum and do not have practical access to high speed internet. As folks that post threads we can help them by limiting the number of photos/scans on a single thread. And when it becomes longer put a link from the old thread to the “continued” thread and a link from the “continued thread back to the old thread. [Yes, I know I’m one of the guilty ones and I will try to do better].

But I thought some of you may already have some good ideas that would help others that are on dial up to enjoy the forum more. I posted the following suggestion on a discussion “website suggestion” at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/420724.html?1392034649 that discussed some possible changes to the web site. But this thread would be for suggestions on how we the “user” may be able to speed things up even if they are on dial up.

If you have internet explorer from the web site at: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/genuine/ie-display-images I copied the following instructions and changed them so the images would not show up unless you ask to see them.

To adjust Internet Explorer so it will NOT display images, do the following:

1. Open Internet Explorer.

2. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.

3. Click the Advanced tab.

4. Scroll down the Settings list until you see Multimedia.

5. Put a check mark in the box next to “Show image download place holders”

6. Remove the check mark from the box “Show Pictures”

7. Click OK, and then click OK again.

8. Then close out of internet explorer and relaunch it.

And it worked for me. It now loads all the web sites without any photos showing and I only open the ones I want to see. That would mean it would be helpful if we typed a short description of the photo such as “engine or 1915 Touring” etc. That is an option when we upload them.

Disadvantages – photobucket did not like it at all. But the forum was happy.

I will put mine back to display photos as some of the other items such as the icons at the top of thread do not display either. But when I only had dial up, I found that very helpful. To display a photo just right click on the box it would have been in, then select “Show Photo” from the drop down list.

If you do not like the results – just reverse the steps above.

Does anyone else have some suggestions that would help our "dial up" users? And remember they have already looked into moving closer to "high speed access" but they do not want to move or cannot move etc.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration