Old Photo - Coupe Turned Sleeping Car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Coupe Turned Sleeping Car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 12:30 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 01:03 pm:

Why sleep inside the car more room outside, oh well I guess this is where the term 3's a crowd started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 08:26 pm:

I've seen lots of touring car sleepers, but never a coupe'. When I first saw this I only saw the two on the lower bunk. I did not see the person above. I wonder if the backrest had been removed and their feet are in the trunk?

The person on the upper bunk would have to be pretty short!

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 09:14 pm:

I have a coupe like the one pictured and yes Keith, the back rest would have to be removed or modified in some way to permit the occupants legs to enter the trunk area.

If you look carefully at the floor just in front of the seat riser you will see one of the seat cushions. Perhaps a modified backrest somehow slides down and provides the "mattress".

I had occasion to sleep in my coupe one night as it was way too late to get to the campground and pitch my tent. I am a short person, about 5'5", and while I was able to curl up on the seat, it was Not a restful night's sleep.

This is an interesting photograph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 09:21 am:

Good grief! That had to be the worst nights sleep ever! Really defines the phrase "roughing it".
I agree with G.R., sleeping outside woulda been better! Been there, done that back in my younger days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 09:44 am:

This is a staged photograph folks. Just looking at the photograph just reminds me of the relatively small interior this 25 Coupe is. I have a 24 Coupe I restored and just thinking about sleeping in it makes my body ache.

Anything is possible but the scene in the pic is just to neat to be reality. And if they slept all night man I hate to think about how they felt in the morning when the supposed pic was taken.

The supposed owner removed the steering wheel for more room. I guess he installed a hook? to hang the steering wheel on. Maybe he ran a piece of bailing wire through the wood bow in the roof to tie up the wheel.

These folks must be all under 5 feet tall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 09:47 am:

I'd hate to have that fatman wheel flip down and hit me in the teeth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:05 am:

Back in the day when Auto Camping was the rage, kits were readily available to convert a number of Ford body styles into sleeper cars. people at large were a lot smaller a hundred years ago before hormones were a staple of the food supply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 05:10 pm:

I don't know. The trunk in my '24 coupe is pretty big. I know I hate to have to reach in to connect the battery charger to the battery. I am six feet even height and would consider climbing in to take a nap.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 06:29 pm:

I don't think its a staged photo. everything says camping- folding chairs, picnic box etc.

Looks like the person above at the rear may be a child rather than an adult.

As to being an uncomfortable nights sleep if the occupants can stretch out then it has to be a step up to laying on the ground in a tent especially if the weather is poor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 07:46 pm:

Peter If you were going to sleep in that car why would you leave your picnic basket open and your fishing creel on a folding chair if it had ever been used I can think of no better attractant for wildlife. Last if there is room for 2 adults and 1 child in the car who took the picture and where did they sleep?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 07:56 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 08:29 pm:

If you read the last line 'the manufactures assert' this tells the story.
Jays photo is the photo that was used in the add that Art has uploaded.
Look closely and you can tell it is the same picture as Jay's photo.
To me this was a staged photo that was used to sell the folding beds that could be used in a Ford Coupe.

Evidently it is a staged photograph. In my HMO anyway.
Just wonder if they were very popular or if they sold any at all. Interesting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 08:43 pm:

I don't know, every closed car I've ever been in has a faint gas smell in it. Don't think I could sleep breathing that all night...maybe that's why the doors open, lol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 09:24 pm:

Looks to me that there might be enough room once you get into bed, however, I just can't quite picture anyone much less agile than a kid, getting into or out of the thing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 12:11 am:

I'm Wrong again!! I also have this picture ( which I just found in my collection and it appears to be from another source) obviously taken for publicity purposes.

As mentioned before most people were a lot smaller than today.

There were lots of ideas for sleeping in the car.

Martin, I have never had a problem with gas fumes in our Kamper, I'm sure if it was in some cars an easy fix could be found such as a piece of canvas etc over the tank before placing the seat in place.

Here is some other ideas, how would you like to try the touring suspended bed???

beds

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 12:13 am:

I'm Wrong again!! I also have this picture ( which I just found in my collection and it appears to be from another source) obviously taken for publicity purposes.

There were lots of ideas for sleeping in the car.

Martin, I have never had a problem with gas fumes in our Kamper, I'm sure if it was in some cars an easy fix could be found such as a piece of canvas etc over the tank before placing the seat in place.

Here is some other ideas, how would you like to try the touring suspended bed???

beds

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 12:29 am:

Sheesh! What a bunch of "half fast" ideas. I'd rather sleep on the ground. Only excuse for sleeping in your car is like Tim Conway said right after his split from his wife: "I'm staying in my hotel Seville".
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 12:34 am:

The sleeping arrangement in the center door looks like it might not be too miserable if you're short enough, but the guy in the touring looks like he's about to spend the night from Hell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 12:40 am:

Dennis, I would think it could depend on where you were camped, Down Under, being up in the air helps stop a lot of the snakes, spiders and crocodiles trying to share your sleeping bag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 12:48 am:

Sleeping on top of of a car isn't a bad idea - you get away from the cold and damp (here in Sweden, mostly) ground. Here's me with my 60's italian roof top tent on a 1962 Opel Caravan in 1998:

Roof top tent
Sold both the car and the tent later on, unlike me my wife didn't like to sleep up there & if mama isn't happy, nobody's happy ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 01:38 am:

Peter,

I agree camping on the ground is "location, location, location". In my younger days I once had to chase one of those rattling slithering things out of the tent with my pistole. NOT fun. Tends to lead to instant bladder problems! I now prefer the indoor variety of camping. Although, having a Kamper looks like fun. (just kidding on the prior posting).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 03:24 am:

We have had some extreme camping stories here, one that comes to mind was when a youngster woke up in the middle of the night to find a python wrapping him around him with one of his legs being swallowed.

Luckily his dad was in the tent with him and managed to get him out of the snake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 04:26 pm:

With a few of these camping tales, that trunk in my coupe is looking better and better!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration