Oil filler cap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Oil filler cap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 02:19 pm:

What should the oil filler cap look like for an early '16 Model T? I have read conflicting accounts, from steel with script and no "Made In U.S.A." to steel with both and steel with nothing. Also, how many flutes? I have an early '16 (11/15) that I thought had the original cap. It is steal, three flutes and has everything on it (Ford script and made in U.S.A.) It sure looked old when I bought the car, but it had sat in a real barn for over forty years so maybe it's an early repop?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 02:30 pm:

The script was dropped 5-5-16 according to the encyclopedia. Old style may have been on the shelves and placed on cars for quite a while afterwards.
http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/I-O.htm#oil2
"4/23/15 Changed inside diameter from 2” to 2-3/16” and the number of pockets and lugs from 6 to 3. Changed height from 3/4 to 13/16, specifying bottom of pockets to be connected with the top of the cap by a 1/4” radius of the inside of cap.
8/16/15 Changed material from fender scrap to running board shield or fender apron scrap.
5/5/16 Removed the name “Ford” and the “Made in USA”"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 03:07 pm:

Thanks for the clarification, Roger! So it would appear that my cap is original to the car, which is always a good thing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 08:24 pm:

You have the correct cap. There are some repros out there that say Pat App. For I think. You don't want one of them, they are bogus. Even the brass caps are wrong. They have the Model A type script. Original brass caps are around, and so are the two types of steel ones. You only have to go out there and find them. Not hard to do.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration