Getting a New Knee at the Hospital, Tomorrow

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Getting a New Knee at the Hospital, Tomorrow
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 02:26 pm:

It's sort of funny; though most of us have never met face to face, yet we're close enough friends that when one of us goes silent for a while, we start to wonder about what's going on, and I'm feeling like it would be less than to polite to just disappear for the better part of a month without explaining why.

The Good Lord knows how sick and tired I am of listening to anesthesiologists telling me to count backwards from 100, but I'm also very grateful that there are brilliant physicians who can do things like stitch my spine back together with titanium rods and bolts (not once but twice, so far) and replace the mating surfaces of my knee (like the other one that got overhauled a few years ago).

The "Signature Series" knee involves an MRI scan which goes into a 3-D printer that creates a full-scale, plastic model of the existing knee so that custom jigs can be created to fit into the existing individualized nooks and crannies of the actual bones and hold the power drills and saws (gasp, whimper) at precisely the correct angle such that when the new parts go in, the bearing surfaces mate perfectly and consequently, last a very long time.

This type of surgery is usually performed, not with general anesthesia, but using a spinal-local (gasp, whimper) and lemme tell you guys, this is one front-row seat, the tickets for which I've not exactly been clamoring.

Yeah, it's something of an ordeal, but I've got the best surgeon in the world and he happens also to be a brass-car guy whom I taught to drive a Model T — and I look forward to a ride in his 1912 S.C.A.R. (Société de Construction Automobile de Reims — in English: Society of Automobile Construction of Reims, France) once its carburetor and magneto complications are settled. He and I used to attend the same church and, as last time, we'll pray together just before the needles go in. I thank God for the "coincidence" of having met this gentleman.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 02:31 pm:

Bob,

Good luck. I'm heading toward the 5th anniversary of my bi-lateral knee replacement, and can play a little basketball with my daughters and jog (slowly) a little. You'll be good as new in no time (OK, you've already had one done, so you know it will take some time).

One "weak kneed" guy to another,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 02:35 pm:

Bob,

Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery. It always amazes me on what doctors and modern science can do now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 02:42 pm:

Hey Bob Good luck on the knee replacement..
It helps to have a believer doing the work and there is nothing wrong with letting others know so they can pray for you.

It seems that the posts on the forum about medical problems have been rampant lately.

As for your front row seat - you will be in a good position to remind him that it it righty tighty - lefty loosy and if that dosen't work use a bigger hammer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 02:46 pm:

I'll send you an Arthur Murray gift card redeemable in a couple of weeks. Good Luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 02:59 pm:

We are pulling for you Bob and Wishing you the best.
Rich and Joy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 03:13 pm:

Good Luck and speedy recovery

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 03:17 pm:

Bob,
You did the right thing, Man.
I was nearly ready for a wheelchair about three years ago, and the doctor told me do it now (two total knee replacements) or soon I'd not be able to walk. I did it.
What a blessing! I walked out of the hospital and now I'm like a kid! No pain, no difficulty doing anything.
I'd recommend (and have recommended) knee replacement surgery if you truly need it.
Wonderful!
God bless you,
Bob's knee:
Bob's new knee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Grohsmeyer on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 03:38 pm:

What's the matter ? Haven't you seen the commercial with the patient using the PC while being operated on ? As long as it's a 'local' we will be looking forward to your play by play commentary !
Good Luck !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 04:09 pm:

Here's to a speedy recovery.

Without good health, little else matters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 04:18 pm:

Good luck, Bob. You are doing the right thing. A little true story:

When my grandmother (1902-2000) was in her early 70's her knees were giving her trouble. My cousin (one of her other grandsons) was (and is) an ear/nose/throat oncologist. He interned with at Stanford with a doctor who, by then, did nothing but knees. He told her his friend would get her in right away. He'd do one at a time and she'd be back on her feet after a short recovery period.

She declined, saying, "I'm too old". It turned out that she lived over 25 more years. During that time the knees became the limiting factor. In all other ways she was just fine. It was a decision she later regretted.

I've tried to learn from her experience and get stuff done when it's needed. Again, you're doing the right thing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 04:38 pm:

Anja's grandfather was born in 1880 and grew up in an orphanage in Amsterdam. At the age of 20, he went to the Dutch East Indies to seek his fortune (as they say). He ended up as an Inspector with the Inland Education Department. When he was 47, he had a physical and they discovered a heart murmur. He was retired on physical disability, went back to Holland and began drawing a pension. In about 1939, he could see the war coming to Europe and decided to go back to the Indies to sit it out. In early 1942, he was interned in Japanese prison camp and spent the rest of the war as a prisoner. While in the camp, he somehow injured his knee, which healed crooked. When he got back to Holland after the war, the attitude of the doctors there at that time was that it didn't make any sense to operate on the knee at his advanced age (he was 65). He spent the remaining 31 years of his life with a bum knee.

Fast forward to about 1973. New generation of doctors, new attitudes. He had cataracts and his doctor recommended eye surgery. His reaction was, "Really doctor? At my age?" The doctor said, "Why not? Even if you only live a few more years, you'll be able to see better."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 04:43 pm:

BOB, I have an aftermarker knee. Have had it for 3 years. Nothing but good. Want some good advice?
****Do EXACTLY what your told to do in recovery. Don't slack one once. Even if that 125 pound physical theropist makes you cry like a little baby, take the pain. Do not do what your told and you will not get full benefit from the knee.

It took close to a year to where I could put full weight kneeing when working on a car. These knee pads with the hard outer housing sure did help and i still use them so that im not putting my raw knee on hard concrete.

Just some advice. This new knee has given my life back. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 04:50 pm:

Bob, isn't it nice to know you don't have to fear. Looking forward to hearing about it from the other side. Should make a big positive difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 05:13 pm:

Bob, I' m next if I can get up the courage! Best of luck and a speedy recovery!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 05:19 pm:

Bob,
Paul has a good idea.!

You can take your PC and camera then give us a play by play commentary with pictures.

It might be a little easier if you set the camera to 200 x 200 or less so you don't have to resize them.

I am praying for your speedy recovery!

Fred

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 05:30 pm:

Bob,

Just had another thought, how about requesting vanadium instead of titanium?

:-)

Best wishes and prayers, please report back as soon as your able,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 05:54 pm:

You go Bob !! And may your surgery be a blessing. The recovery is the hardest part. I had a 4 hour
hand surgery last month and the forced inactivity is tough. Ross is coming over soon to change out a head gasket on the tudor. My prayer for you is for much increased mobility with minimal recuperation time. . soon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 06:13 pm:

Bob-
I expect you to come out with a couple of grease cups or Alemite fittings on each side...

: ^ _

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 06:37 pm:

I'll be thinking of you.
I think of you every time I check the gas in my car!
Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 06:43 pm:

Hi Bob,

I had both knees replaced by the "Best Doctor" also. Except my Dr. operates at Scripps in La Jolla, San Diego Calif. His name is Dr. Walker...the right name for the Job. He only does knees and hips. My knees were done 1-1/2 years apart....the latest is nearly 2 yrs. old.
One of the reasons that Dr. Walker likes to use Striker brand knee replacements is because of the computer assisted system that Striker has developed. According to him, using the computer assisted system provides consistent fits and alignment from one person to another. If he starts to do something wrong during fitting/alignment...the computer alerts him.

No matter how good the Dr. is and how well the operation turns out....DO THE PHYSICAL THERAPY!

Remember...No Pain....No Gain, it's true! The first 3 weeks....you want your old parts back. Then, day by day as you do physical therapy....life get's better.

Walking around with a bad knee, you throw off your whole body trying to walk with out pain. It takes time to build up muscles that have not been used or have become weak.

I'm one that has walked the walk along with others.
A person on our street also had her knees done and would not do the required physical Therapy...when it would start to hurt...she would stop. As a result,she now walks with a cane at a snails pace. Sad to see! It's her fault

Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 07:45 pm:

Good luck! Best wishes! Keep in touch! (I expect regular updates) You and the '15 will be running marathons in no time! (Or at least McDonalds runs)
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 08:03 pm:

I'd say "best of luck" Bob, but I think knee surgeries are one of the many procedures that have been absolutely perfected by now, so really nothing left to "luck",and as others have said, hope the recovery time is short and easy,.......harold

P.S. Being that the "doc" is a "T" guy, tell him to sprinkle a little of that "timesaver" stuff in there to aid in short "break-in" time and a perfect lapped fit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 08:17 pm:

Good luck, Bob. I'll say a prayer for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 08:50 pm:

The best to you, Bob.
Do the recommended exercises, but lay off soccer for a few days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 09:19 pm:

Bob,

We will be praying for you and a speedy recovery. And yes, many of us have not met face to face yet, but we have met on the forum and we want the best for one another (like another Model T or something). Be sure to follow the doctor’s advice and do the therapy.

God Bless,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 09:42 pm:

Bob, best wishes for speedy recovery and the advice about physical therapy is for real. Don't skimp on the effort. I had both knees done (but only partials) with the same technical device made to order. It worked well on one and still having some discomfort with the other. Got rid of the pain but still have some ache. I would do it again!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 10:07 pm:

Bob,

I will keep you in my prayers. I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Harrison,Eatonville,Wa on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 10:17 pm:

Good luck Bob,wishing you a speedy recovery

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 11:02 pm:

Best wishes for a full and fast recovery. You are in our prayers.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 12:38 am:

Bob,
The first full knee I had replaced was my right. It took 6 weeks before I could drive our modern car with automatic trans. and power brakes. That's when my Doctor would release me to drive. Also got a letter from him to the DMV so I could get a temp. handy capped parking placard. Came in very handy for finding parking places in Califunny.
It was three months before I was comfortable driving our 13 T touring with RM brakes. I am 6'2" tall with long legs. Physical therapy was a must in order to develop the strength and ability to pull my lower leg back to safely operate the brake. I am 74 years old....some may recover quicker. The only thing I would do differently....have it done 5 yrs. sooner. It's great to walk and move about freely with out pain. I can kneel on a padded cushion. Prefer to lay down on a pad when working low on the Model T. The day's of working on cars kneeling on concrete floors with no knee protection are gone. That is probably why I ended up bone on bone. I have been doing body and mechanical work on cars since age 16.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 04:56 am:

Thanks for all your kind comments and prayers. I also appreciate the advice about doing the required exercises. Been down this road once before with the other knee and you're 100% correct about following the doctor's instructions to the letter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 09:10 am:

Good luck to you Bob...thoughts and prayers are with you. Fortunately, they've got this procedure "down pat".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 11:41 am:

A prayer has already been said. Have you heard the commercial about the new injection made from a rooster's comb? They claim you don't need knee surgery if you use it. I just wonder how many people have used it and found it doesn't work and then get the surgery anyway. I know many people who have had the surgery and seem to be glad to have good working knees today. It is interesting that a surgeon has a car named S.C.A.R.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 03:06 pm:

Norman,

Besides Cortisone injections, I took the Senvisc (Made From Rooster Comb) deep injections for over 7yrs. before having my first full knee replacement. The injections helped a great deal at first.....lasted 6 months to start with. When they would only last 2 weeks and I started growing feathers and hopping around clucking....I knew it was time for the new knee. When you have bone on bone....even the chickens can't help.
Prayers do work!
Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 03:30 pm:

Bob,

One word of advice....my doctor recommended that I purchase an ice machine (i.e. Don Joy or Bregg) that has a wrap to help with swelling of the knee. The machine is basically an igloo type cooler with a pump with control and related tubing. My wife filled it with ice and water, applied the wrap, and I enjoyed relief from the pain and swelling. There was a significant reduction in swelling in comparison of using just ice packs. Reduced swelling helps with the exercise. Another big advantage was the bed never got wet which is possible with leaking ice packs. They cost approx. $150. Hope this bit of info helps. All my "knee buddies" have used this contraption...smile

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 08:04 pm:

Les V. I guess I'm luckier than I thought. Along with the hard to swallow bill from the hospital, they gave me the ice machine you mentioned. The only problem I had was when I went for the other knee, they would not let me use the first ice machine and provided another. That is our Medicare system in action!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:02 pm:

R.S. Cruickshank,

I was told that Medicare would not pay for one. There was a Don Joy rep. at the hospital who delivered it to me....wife paid with a check. I used the same ice machine for my other knee.
Have loaned it out to friends that Medicare would not pay for a ice machine for them.
You were very luck....funny they would not let you use your first machine for the second knee???
One friend went home from the hospital with out knowing about the ice machine. I called him up to find out how he was doing when he got home. He complained about the problems trying to use ice packs. I brought my ice machine over and he later said that the ice machine not only was much easier to work with but did a better job keeping the swelling down vice using ice packs.

I hope you are happy with your knee replacement. My second knee rehab. went quicker compared to the first. With the second, I knew that it would not fall off doing physical therapy and I pushed the exercise harder. Owning a Model T, you know its a must to get back in shape in order to push them peddles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rion Schulze on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:08 pm:

I had a right knee meniscus repaired yesterday, the 10th. 3rd time, 1 in the left and twice in the right. Maybe new knees for me someday too, who knows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:30 pm:

Rion,

It all begins with meniscus "repair" (removal). First, tattered or torn cartridge is removed, then no cushion, bone on bone, and then knee replacement.

Maybe not in all cases, but that's how it went for me.

And the ice machine was a godsend.

I hope Bob is doing well......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 08:47 am:

OH NO!!
I am supposed to see the knee Dr about MRI results on a potential torn meniscus soon. :-(

Now I'm concerned!!!

Has anyone noticed that this forum has turned into a "My Ailment" discussion?

Is anyone NOT Sick?

Growing old sucks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:06 am:

Fred,
I had to have torn cartilage removed because the tattered pieces (my own medical jargon :-)) were causing irritation and the knee to "lock up." I suspect that's the case with most cartilage repair and removal. Fortunately, we live in the age orthoscopic surgery so the recovery time is minuscule compared with the same removal thirty years ago.

I'm not aware of any way around removing torn cartilage, and I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last week (for those familiar with the commercial).
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:20 am:

Like my dad- R.I.P.- used to say..."the golden years aint so golden".

While this doesn't help anyone currently, but one of my T friends who's wife has knee problems was told by her doc if she can "hold on" for two more years or less, they'll have perfected a huge advance in knee surgery, unlike anything ever thought of. Don't know all the details but he apparently was adamant that it will be fantastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:43 am:

I had both knees done 2 yrs ago. Partial knee replacements.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:46 am:

The advanced knee replacement is here and my wife got one two weeks ago. The surgeon told me she retained her knee cap and should be able to kneel once all is healed. The metal replacement was created from a solid CAD model created off the CT scan.

I brought her into the hospital at 5:30AM and she was in her room by noon that day. She came home two days later and is still recovering. I suggested my own physical therapy for her; I threw her walker into a snowbank and proceeded to start our self propelled snowblower which has handles identically spaced to her walker. It turns out she is very resistant to modern therapy methods.

They sent her home with an ice box with a pump that had a small pad resembling a plastic air mattress that provided the cooling. I ended up re-engineering the whole thing by replacing the leaky pad with clear tubing and substituting a portable ice machine for the ice box. With the pump in the water reservoir, the heat from the knee melts the incoming ice and the thing recirculates all night. If you get a similar machine to take home, know that your refrigerator's built-in ice machine will not be able to keep up with the demand and you will have to buy ice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 07:51 pm:

Man this is a long thread. Had my left knee done on Monday by the other best doctor in Louisville, Richard Sweet. He is known around here for his "sweet knees".
He gave me the opportunity to have the latest and greatest knee put in. It was approved by the FDA just December 31. The claim is faster recovery and boy do I believe it. Got operated on at 10 am on the 10th and home by noon on Wednesday the 12th. Got 110 degrees of motion on the second day ant the knee bender can only go up to 120. Guess I will have to tweak it a bit for more range.
Do you exercises, ice and pain meds after surgery. Do a good job of leg clean up the two days beforehand to insure no infections. Been down that road already. Make sure to be proactive with the nurses. Several chocolate cookies in sandwich bags handed out to anyone who did a good job goes a long way in making new friends. Got to keep the girls on the floor happy you know.
I will let you all know it it all works out later but for now, it's another pain free night!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ex trooper on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 09:29 pm:

Three weeks ago next Monday. Had a spinal that I barely remember and then walking the next day. FOLLOW REHAB INSTRUCTIONS TO THE "T" LOL...Did lots of pre surgery muscle strengthening exercises and rehab 6 days a week. Did 3 hospital days and 6 in the rehab place. Couldn't wait to get home. If theres no pics it didn't happen! ws

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/677io4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/rl9hnd.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/2n6ymq9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/2qu5bv7.jpg[/IMG]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 01:08 am:

I am able to kneel on both knees with no pain. Do it at church each Sunday. I make sure there is some padding. No more kneeling on cement with out knee pads. So very happy to have no more knee pain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 09:41 am:

I

When I had my knees replaced (four and a half years ago) my Dr. Said I wouldn't be able to kneel on the ground. I took this pic a few minutes ago to prove him wrong:

It took a while, but after about a year I was able to jog (slowly) and can kneel (your under the car a lot with 100 year old cars :-) ) with virtually no pain.

The new hip has taken me a while to get used to, but I am able to touch the net (barely) when I'm playing pickup basketball (not very often, and not recommended), not bad for a fifty something year old 5'10" guy who eats too much......

My suggestion is, never say never and keep working (and do therapy).

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 10:54 am:

I had different experience with following the doctor's and PT's instructions for exercise after surgery. I was told to exercise the knee for 8 hours a day, after two hours, the swelling was so bad that I could not move the knee.
I was later told that the PTs always tell you to exercise twice as much as they want yo to, as they think that people will not do but half. This managed to take me from being ambulatory to back on crutches in a matter of a couple of days. after a week a week of this with out any pain control, the PT cut my exercise to on hour a day. With in a week, I was up and walking again.
the point is that you need to exercise as much as you can, but when the swelling is so bad that the joint will not move, then it may be time to cut back. do not let the doctors do your thinking for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 11:20 am:

I am a week into it now and have moved from walker to cane. Still have some pain but don't believe it is joint pain, more like muscle. Have had near zero swelling and have reduced pain meds by half of what I started with. Seem to walk OK and look forward to continued re-hab so I can get back to job work and get back in garage again. Got too many projects waiting for completion getting ready for touring season. The one complaint I have is missing Chickasha and Marietta swap meets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 01:40 pm:

SO HOW IS BOB CORIO DOING?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 01:41 pm:

SO SORRY I MISS-SPELLED COIRO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 01:43 pm:

Tom,
Sounds like your doing great.

Dennis,
Every time I see this rise to the top of the forum I expect it to be Bob with an update. I hope he's OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 08:08 pm:

I keep checking back for an update. I see lots of good advice and encouragement, but so far no update!
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 08:10 pm:

Wayne,

I sent an email, no word. I hope all is well. Maybe someone else on the forum has heard from Bob.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 12:33 am:

Hi Rob Heyen,
I can also knee on the ground (Hard Surfaces) like you....but I try and keep from doing it with out additional padding..... like knee pads. I'm 74 yrs. old and spent most of my life kneeling on hard surfaces while working on cars, etc. with no knee pads.

Doing this may have contributed to my bone on bone condition resulting in knee replacement.

My Dr. say's use some padding when kneeling with my new knees....after having both knee replacements....I will follow his advice concerning this issue. The Dr. may not be 100% correct every time...however, I think he knows his subject matter on this issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 12:49 am:

I'm amazed at the number of surgeries posted here. I wonder if any of the problems were aggravated by statins? They can cause joint pain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 01:07 am:

My right knee was never the same after playing foot ball in H.S. It all ended with bone on bone...can not blame it all on football!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 07:14 am:

Les,
I agree, I follow Doctors advice as much as is tolerable. :-)

Football, parachuting (the free kind, on Uncle Sam) and farming wear and tear took mine (and one hip down, one pending).

I wish we would hear from Bob. I sent an email and still no reply.........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 12:40 pm:

Got released early from the physical rehab center and brother, does it ever feel good to be back home!

There'll be plenty of physical therapy and stuff continuing, but still, there's nothing like cutting off that stupid wristband and taking that wonderful drive home!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 12:49 pm:

Excellent! We've been wondering about you and missing you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 01:13 pm:

Talking about the ride home brings tears to my eyes.
I was in Oct. 7th to the 14th for open heart surgery.
Hard to explain what it is, but GOING HOME is a BIG DEAL.
I though I would need new knees, hips and elbows until I quit taking those damned statins.
When I would lay down on a creeper my whole body would hurt a little. That is, all my muscles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 01:21 pm:

Glad you're better, Bob.

Another testimonial damning statins. Will the FDA never ban them? They make some people suicidal, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 02:38 pm:

Bob,

Glad to hear (and relieved) your OK. Get well, lots of T riding to get ready for (summers almost here :-) ).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 03:06 pm:

Glad to hear you are doing well! You have lots of friends here.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 05:51 pm:

Good to hear that all went well and that you are home and back on the forum!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 09:48 pm:

Tom,
The "girls on the floor" aren't always girls.

Sincerely,
Eric Hylen, RN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 09:01 am:

Glad to hear you are back and doing well, Bob.
Regarding the ice machines: get 12 plastic 8 oz cups and fill them with water and put them in the freezer. Use the large chunks from 6 at a time and alternate them. They last longer than cubes and your freezer can keep up. Our PT gal told me this and we used it for Teresa's shoulder repair.
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 01:52 pm:

Bob.
I am relieved to hear that you are doing OK.
Please keep us up to date on your recovery

We missed you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 05:42 pm:

Here's a nice, clear video of a total knee replacement surgery (not for the squeamish, but not too bad, either).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 08:51 pm:

And here's the YouTube address I forgot to include:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9NrKylKMIY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 12:49 am:

Glad to here you are back at home. Remember....No Pain, No Gain. Each day will get better and soon you will be driving your model T.
Enjoyed the video of a total knee replacement. A little squeamish when it came to the saw, chisel and hammer parts.

I used a new plastic trash bag covering my new knee sealed on top using masking tape before taking a shower. My wife helped getting the plastic trash bag in place and taped. Also, bought an adjustable seat/stool so I could sit while taking a shower. That made it much easier taking showers.

We were starting to get concerned as we had not heard anything from you. Glad your at home now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 09:13 pm:

Two weeks ago today when I got my knee replaced. Doing well. After looking at this video, I now understand where some of the pain is coming from. But I sure am glad I had it done. With the exception of some sourness, I am walking pretty much pain free. Can't imagine how much better it is gonna be in another few weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 10:51 pm:

Tom - We're looking forward to seeing you on some T Tours this summer.

BTW, was it your low pedal knee or your brake pedal knee that was replaced? Just wondering.....

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 06:39 pm:

Well, it is the low pedal knee and although it makes driving a modern car OK, the T might get to be challenging. Our regional tour is in June and I should be good to go by then.
I intend on telling the therapist he/she has to have me ready to drive a "T" ASAP. Should be fun to see the response.
I sat in the seat Sunday just to see how it was to push low pedal in. In was easy, out not so much. Out hurt like hell. But it has only been 13 days.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration