Whatzit 6

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Whatzit 6
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 04:09 pm:

This is a full whatzit set. The title reads SPECIAL FORD SET HOLLEY ________. This is a set that I frequently use, but tend to use one item more than the rest. I was at a swap meet and a young kid had this set laid out on the ground with all his other items. When I saw SPECIAL fORD SET HOLLEY -------I knew I had to have it. I thought boy I am going to have to pay well over $100 dollars. In fact I thought well I will go to $150.00. I asked the kid what he wanted for the set and he said $35.00. I about tore off my rear packet getting my wallet out. I have always assumed that if it says Holley on the case that it was the same company as the Holley Carburetor

\image(Holly 1}

Holly 2

Holly 3

Holly 4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 04:18 pm:

I missed one picture, I will hunt for it again.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 04:19 pm:

One more try?

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 04:23 pm:

Bushing extractor set - I have a partial set in the "Holley" wood box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 04:51 pm:

Steve Tomaso, your too quick. the one that I use most is the one for the front wheel spindles. I get walk ins every once in awhile that need to get the old bushings out of the spindles and the smallest of the extractors works like a champ. Thanks for the quick answer.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 04:57 pm:

The large extractors with the ruler on top are for the transmission drum bushings. All these extractors screw into the bushing and you drive them out with a brass hammer on the other ends. There are enough extractors in the entire set to remove almost any bushing any where in a model T.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 11:43 pm:

These three watzits came from the same kit and is only part of them. The cutters on the one shaft will probably give them away.

reamer 1

reamer 2

reamer 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 11:43 pm:

These three watzits came from the same kit and is only part of them. The cutters on the one shaft will probably give them away.

reamer 1

reamer 2

reamer 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:21 am:

Nice Stevens tools Dave - I also have the full set in original box. My wife found them in Ontario NOS in cosmoline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 04:55 pm:

Steve Tomaso:

Give this whatzit a try. No its a Z tool but NOT one of the transmission pullers. I bought this thinking it was one of the transmission pullers but found it did not fit when I got home. I never use it but use my press instead. The press is faster and easier than what it was built for.

Crankshaft timing gear puller

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 06:59 pm:

Dave The 2 reamers and the guide are for reaming and facing the front bushing in the drive shaft torque tube. The big round guide centers on the ball at the front of the drive shaft tube to guide the reamers ..I have a set just like it. Nice useable tool ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 12:32 am:

Donnie Brown:

You are correct. I have the entire set. I find some of the set more useful than some of the others in the set.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 11:11 am:

Timing gear puller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 12:05 pm:

I think there is a piece missing from Dave's tool. It looks like a gear puller for Gen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 01:14 pm:

Ken Todd:
Your right. As near as I can make the Z number out it is 5-Z-320. That is listed as a PULLER, Small timing gear. I have tried it on the crankshaft timing gear and it fits. I never use it, but use my press instead. I should have put the inside dimensions, are 2 3/4" wide. The taps are 1 3/4" wide.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 01:14 pm:

Ken Todd:
Your right. As near as I can make the Z number out it is 5-Z-320. That is listed as a PULLER, Small timing gear. I have tried it on the crankshaft timing gear and it fits. I never use it, but use my press instead. I should have put the inside dimensions, are 2 3/4" wide. The taps are 1 3/4" wide.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 04:09 pm:

This Whatzit is a tool I use almost daily. Is listed in the catalogs with 3 uses but I use it for 4!!!!. I use the big end only. I keep one in each of my running board tool boxes and one hanging on the wall of my shop.
What is the big end of this tool used for?

spark plug wrench 1

spark plug wrench 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 04:14 pm:

I forgot to put the pictures in the file, I will try again.

spark plug wrench 1

spark plug wrench 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 04:46 pm:

Low band lock nut, c.c. drain plug, rear axle fill plug and rear axle nut, although I tighten my nuts with a little longer wrench ;>)!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 05:17 pm:

My ignorance has been re-enforced.

Thank you very much!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 11:39 pm:

Steve Tomaso:

Once again you did very good. You missed one very important to me use. Its the spark plugs, this wrench is twice as good a spark plug wrench as the dumb things that was issued with the ford.

Side bar. I do not use the original Rear axle plugs or the crank case oil drain plug. I hate them. They are so flat that you can round off the corners and then have a hell of a time getting them out. As much as I hate to do it, I use model A plugs, they fit and are twice as thick so you will not round them off.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 11:39 pm:

Steve Tomaso:

Once again you did very good. You missed one very important to me use. Its the spark plugs, this wrench is twice as good a spark plug wrench as the dumb things that was issued with the ford.

Side bar. I do not use the original Rear axle plugs or the crank case oil drain plug. I hate them. They are so flat that you can round off the corners and then have a hell of a time getting them out. As much as I hate to do it, I use model A plugs, they fit and are twice as thick so you will not round them off.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 08:20 am:

I also found the short oil and rear axle plugs to be frustrating until I started using one of the holes in the Ford hubcap wrench on them. Works great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 11:14 am:

I plug weld a washer onto the plugs, then cut the sides off even w/the hex of the plug. Ends up as a plug with a thicker head. Quick, simple.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 12:34 pm:

These whatzits may be easy to identify. I sometime used t use as many as four on a job, but usually only two. I used them for years. I no longer use them as I found another way to do the job. What are they used for?

spoke stretchers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 12:37 pm:

I will try the picture again.

Spoke Stretchers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 12:37 pm:

I will try the picture again.

Spoke Stretchers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 12:40 pm:

Spoke jacks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 12:40 pm:

Spoke jacks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 12:42 pm:

I forgot to say that one of the main companies that manufactured these tools was TUCKER. However I have a couple that were manufactured by other companies. One think I will say is that they are fairly fast to use.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 12:42 pm:

I forgot to say that one of the main companies that manufactured these tools was TUCKER. However I have a couple that were manufactured by other companies. One think I will say is that they are fairly fast to use.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 12:45 pm:

One thing that I meant to say was "one thing is that they are fairly fast and easy to use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 12:46 pm:

*school teacher voice* Okay Steve, lets let somebody else have turn answering, okay?

LOL Steve isn't allowed to answer until at least 2 people have guessed first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 02:58 pm:

Fair enough, Seth.

Here's a photo of the full set that Dave posted several pieces of up the thread further.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 03:13 pm:

Steve&Dave,I have a set in original box ,just like those. They are nice tools .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 03:27 pm:

Jack Daron:

It looks just like my set except I don't have the puller that you have in the middle of your set. That was missing when I bought the set. Also I have two of the tool for turning and inserting the U Joint that I see in the top of your set. My
two tools are just an open face that is very flat so they can get in between the torque tube and the fourth main. Anyway I sure use the entering tool a lot.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration