AC Brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: AC Brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 07:15 pm:

I have followed with great interest the several threads regarding AC brakes. The pictures are very good and the information is most helpful.

I have a set of What Appear To Be AC brakes but with a significant difference; there is bracket which clamps onto the radius rod and encirles the "clamping rod" at the front of the brake band. The bracket is a cast item, definitely Not home made. I have not seen another set of AC brakes with this bracket and have not seen it depicted in any period ads or other literature. This bracket would appear to steady the front of the brake and keep it from moving inward as a result of pull from the brake actuating rod, or cable.

I will try to get a few images of the brakes and bracket within the next few days, but in the meantime might any of you AC brake experts offer a guess as to just what I have? Early production? Late production?

Thanks for the insight. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 08:19 pm:

Bill, Murray Fahnestock's book "The Model T Ford Owner" contains an article (page 382) showing pictures of several of the accessory brakes available at the time. I didn't see one matching the description you gave, so it will be interesting to see your pictures when you upload them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 08:55 pm:

Hi Mark,

I have the book which you mention and it has been my initial resource for pictures and those pictures and others suggest that my brakes are AC and yet there is no indication of this bracket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 10, 2014 - 09:16 pm:

Could be Cleveland brand brakes, page 385

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:32 pm:

Hello All,

Well I'm back with pictures. I do hope that someone of you can shed some light on the unusual bracket as mentioned in my original post.

This is the brake with the radius rod clamping bracket. At first glance I thought they were run of the mill AC brakes.

Now, here are some close up views of the bracket which clamps to the radius rod and encircles the brake band clamping rod.

I showed these brakes to a few members of my local club and no one could comment on the bracket. I do wonder what the story is. Thank you for looking.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:58 pm:

I have a set like those and always thought they were a version of AC's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 10:51 pm:

My only comment is, I am pretty sure they would say AC on the casting that mounts to the backing plate if they were AC's. As far as I know all early AC's were cable activated except for the heavy duty ones, they would be rod activated and would use a larger brake drum then the std 8 inch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 08:32 am:

Interesting, I had not seen a set quite like those before. The arms don't have clamps for a cable, so perhaps they are meant to be used with pull rods with clevis ends and an equalizer. With a good blasting, paint, and new linings it looks like they would work fine, just be careful not to deform the radius rods by tightening the clamps too tight.

Please take and post pictures if you decide to rebuild them and use them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 08:43 am:

Here is a thread with a picture of old period Rocky Mountain brakes, I think. Looks like some type of clamp on the radius rod there too: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/152011.html?1279833207

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 09:52 am:

PEED brakes have a similar connection to the radius rods, but don't look like your set.

Rocky Mountains were developed over time, originals were know as Tractor-Train brand, these early Rockies have fitting over the rear axle too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 10:02 am:

I've been searching all over the forum and Google for William's brakes and have not found anything yet. Hopefully someone will chime in on this thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 10:05 am:

William. I looked through my library of Model T era trade journals an didn't see anything like your set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 10:54 am:

William -- Your brakes must be "Extremely rare and valuable." Better put them on ebay. :-)

BTW, Welcome home. Haven't seen you here for quite a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 08:42 pm:

A big Thank You for the information.

As much as I would like to know the brand of these brakes, I can certainly use them without that name. It would be nice to be able to answer the question "What kind of brakes are on your car, Bill?" with something better than "I dunno, but they work".

I have looked over these brakes closely and find no name and few markings. Full disclosure; I have Another set of identical brakes and those marking are a bit easier to discern. I'll be back in another day with pictures.

Again, thank you all. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 06:16 pm:

Hello again.
Back with pictures of the other set of similar/almost identical brakes.

I have accented with silver marker the only markings on these brakes. On the backing plate brackets there are small squares with what looks to be a capital letter P within. On the bottom inside of the right pull arm there is "11L". These are the only markings which I can find on these brakes.

And so here is the rest of the mystery. Have fun and thank you. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 07:08 pm:

Wow Bill, it's an interesting mystery! I searched on Google for "P square", P square 11L', "Model T Ford accessory brakes P square", and "company logo P square" and drew nothing but blanks.

Maybe another member will recognize the logo and enlighten us?

The set that you just posted look to be in better shape than the first set, I assume the second set is what you'll be mounting on the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 07:13 pm:

Hi Mark,

I have two cars, so each will be receiving a set. Right now, each car needs a one piece crankshaft a bit more than outside brakes.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 07:50 pm:

Bill

Look again at the adv for the PEED brakes I posted, the P could be for PEED.

The double holes for looping the cable in the arm sure look the same, and other features of the photo in the adv look like your brakes after closer review of your new pictures.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 08:01 pm:

Hi Dan,

When you first posted the PEED ad I noticed similarities. While not identical, those PEEDs more closely resemble "my" brakes than most other ads/pictures I have seen. I do wish that I could see the method of attachment to the backing plate, and I wonder what sort of equalization they used; cable and pulley or something else.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration