New Day Timer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: New Day Timer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erica Wright on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:11 am:

Can anyone tell me why you can't find the New Day Timers anymore?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:21 am:

The quality of the New Day repos was very bad. I got 25 miles out of the last new one. The old originals were made with much superior materials.
The one shown above was a bad one(S).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:21 am:

I believe the problem is that they stopped making them. The picture you show (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is one of the dreaded reproductions that is very poor quality. You can tell by the "S" at 12 o'clock. I'm not sure what it is that is so poor, but from what I've read those S ones tend to fail abnormally quickly. Someone on here will probably sell you a good, original one if you ask. Since the repros are bad but the originals are very popular, most of the originals are owned by someone and not just out there to be had.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:31 am:

Erica
Go to www.twcomponents.com and get a well made, proven reliable timer.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erica Wright on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:32 am:

This one was on the car when we got it so we don't know how old it is, it was working fine. We took it off because the belt has cut these really deep groves in it. My grandfather had a used metal tiger timer in the stuff that came with the car so we put that on. Just to mention too we are going with the next size smaller belt too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:36 am:

Had one on my car the reproduction ones are made of plastic the originals were made from bake-o-lite the plastic doesn't hold up to the brush and wears faster than the brass contacts causing a raised area that the brush is constantly hitting... some of the NOS originals are pricey but worth it with long wear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:37 am:

Last Friday I bought two of them (real ones, not the notorious S version) for $3 at the Wichita swap meet. Keep shopping. You'll find one (or more).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 11:02 am:

I am still doing the testing using an "S" type. I made a carbon brush. So far I am mostly getting some carbon tracking from the brush but is still too early to tell. I have seen original New Days that were worn so it could be the type of brush material used, the harder starter type copper brush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 11:44 am:

Yes, beware of the belt. Luckily, this wasn't one of the good ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 12:50 pm:

Steve, I had my first one do this, so I glued ( J-B weld ) two nickel's on the front. It worked good. It is my back-up timer. I tried the other timers, but they short out on the front casting when I advance the spark. It seems I can only run a New Day, because of the wiring lugs are on top and not on the side. I have a 1916 engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 01:27 pm:

I cant understand why new ones cant be reproduced.
It has to be a money issue I would suppose. Taking a chance investing time and money and not gaining any sales would be a losing proposition.

It cant be materials because of todays technology and improvements in manufacturing would eliminate that issue.

As much time is invested in designing other styles of timers and reproducing others the same could be done with repoing the New Days. There is enough interest to do it going by the inquiries about its use on the forum.

And I bet it would sell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 03:31 pm:

I have been running one of the "S" type for over 6k and have had no trouble. The problem was the brush which needs tweaking as I have said many times here. If you don't want the S type, send them to me, so far no one has sent one and I've asked several times. The bad one is the best brand which was made of a grey looking plastic. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 04:01 pm:

I adapted a generator brush to fit in the New Day rotor. Maybe I'll try running an S with it and see how it goes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 05:11 pm:

I had one of 'the bad grey new days' and it ran on my 1919 Runabout OK. The reason I changed it was the fan belt rubbed a hole in it. Maybe I didn't run it long enough for it to go bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 06:49 pm:

John
A favorite saying of a long time Model T friend of mine is: "Many Model T folks wouldn't spend $5 to get cured of cancer". A rough translation; they buy solely on price and quality does not enter into the purchase decision. Any Model T part supplier who will speak frankly will tell you this. This hobby is paved with poorly made replacement parts. In my view if you don't ask a knowledgeable person who has first hand experience and willing to speak frankly before buying you are making a big mistake.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 07:08 pm:

John
Just to elaborate. Here is a list that took me 5 minutes to compile from recent memory: Timers, starter Bendix drives, pinion bearings, ring and pinion gears, rebuilt and new ignition coils, brake light switches, coilbox wood replacement parts, coilbox replacement contacts, wiring harness's, dash shields, dash ammeters, horns and replacement coil capacitors. And there are many others.
There are multiple sources for these parts and if you buy without not having obtained expert/balanced technical advice you do so at your peril.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 08:17 pm:

Ron are you saying that a reproduced New Day timer made with good materials and well constructed wont be any good?
The grey New Day I used did work well for the time I used it years ago. I hadn't heard or read anything about it being good or bad. As stated I changed it because the fan belt rubbed a hole in it. It was a cheaply made repo compared to the originals I started using when I could find them. By that time it dawned on me they could be made a lot better with the correct materials.

And in my experience I have learned to try things myself BEFORE I take some self appointed experts advice which I occasionly do from time to time and I soon discover its not always right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 08:30 pm:

There are original New Day timers on ebay all the time. The problem is, they appear to be going for $35 and up. I have never run anything but, and really like them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 09:39 pm:

It seems that all of the TT's I buy have had them originally installed. I do like the brush concept and have decided to continue using them on all my motors. I did make a jig that holds the timer so that they can be turned in my lathe. You can turn them if there not totally worn out. That's just my experience with the New Day Timers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:15 pm:

When I first got into Model T's (about 1970), the New Day was the timer of choice for all the seasoned Model T'ers around here. Apparently they worked great.

Since that time, lower-quality New Days have been made and the Anderson repop seems to have overtaken the New Day in popularity. The recently-released TW one might overtake them both in time. We have several really good options.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 11:41 pm:

The Anderson may get a lot of press here but are you sure that they really have overtaken New Days or the Tiger type timer?
Of 11 cars I have worked on or been around
5 have New Day
2 have distributors
4 have Tiger type

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:16 am:

John
Let me elaborate upon the point I was making.
A New Day timer that is properly engineered by someone who fully understands the application, made of correct materials with good manufacturing practices would certainly work. Unfortunately, in too many cases with reproduction Model T parts, is not what happens. Worse yet multiple people are making the same product, some work as intended and others do not.
You can use the "try BEFORE" approach, but you may find it frustrating and expensive. Many new to this hobby who do not understand fall into this trap.
The knowledgeable people I referred to are not "self appointed experts". They are generally recognized expert who work in specific technical areas of the hobby and can advise you about what you need to know to avoid making a reproduction part buying mistake, but you have to seek them out to get the facts, pro and con, you need to know before making a purchase.
I could go on and on about problems with poor quality reproduction Model T parts. The New Day timer is one of the more egregious examples, but there are others.
Good luck
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:39 am:

There is an nice new, unused, original brown NOS New Day timer in the original orange box on ebay right now: item 251448612143. Only problem is, it it is missing the original brush, but good replacements are available from Model T parts suppliers. The current bid is $46.99 with 9 bids so far. I thought about buying it, but already have several and don't need it. Jim Patrick

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration