26 wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 26 wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 12:54 pm:

finally getting to the point in the restoration when it's time to focus on wheels (26 tudor).
Turns out I have a matched set of 4 wheels with one odd ball. Four of the set have square shaped lugs where the rim is attached to the wheel, on the other the wheel the lugs have a radius to them, more round shaped.
I have acquired a couple of spare rims and they are all the round lug type.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with this being a Canadian car? or maybe I have truck wheels?

Dave

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 01:33 pm:

There are several kinds of Model T wheels, and they get switched around on different year cars. I don't know if the Canadian thing matters, but truck wheels won't fit on a Tudor, so the answer is no on that one.

Some good pictures of what you have would be a much better way to start than attempting a verbal description.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 02:02 pm:

See this recent thread where Hap gives a thorough description on what was available from Ford in 1925, 1926 would be the same when it comes to wood wheels. Square lug Kelseys had loose lugs, rounded lugs were of the fixed type.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/421530.html?1391867630

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 02:34 pm:

I'm no expert on this subject at all but, I'm Canadian and my car is American. Every Canadian car I've seen so far has the square, loose lugs and the American ones I've seen have the rounded, fixed lugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 02:46 pm:

Most all but a few Canadian 21" split rims I've worked on or seen had the squarer mounting lugs. Canadian rims also used a center pin for locking as opposed to the swing over latch or over-lap tab w/round head screw lock. The Canadian rims also have 2 small round holes near the split and on both sides for inserting the rim collapse tool - quite different than a conventional "rim jack".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 02:49 pm:

I will add after re-reading Dave's post above - all the Canadian split rims I've seen had "fixed", not "loose" lugs as the later U.S. counterpart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 06:22 pm:

Will they all fit and function correctly, if so, then its a phenomena rather than a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:32 am:

I have a 26 Canadian touring with Chevrolet split rims on the front. The valve hole is between the next set of spokes but it can be drilled out and the original hole welded over or just left open. They are almost identical. All the lugs are round.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration