2014 Annual Snowmobile Club Meet Photos Feb 8, 2014

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 2014 Annual Snowmobile Club Meet Photos Feb 8, 2014
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F Burns on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 02:57 pm:

Model T Ford Snowmobile Club National Meet Photos
Saturday, February 8, 2014
Meredith, New Hampshire

Following are some photos taken on Saturday, February 8, 2014 at the Model T Ford Snowmobile Club's Annual Meet in Meredith, NH. It was a cold sunny day with powder snow conditions. As usual there a large group of spectators and many rides given.

Truck Cab Model T Snowmobile

Visit the Model T Ford Snowmobile Club website
at the link below for further information on the
National Meet and other Antique Snowmobile meets.

www.ModelTFordSnowmobile.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 03:42 pm:

An old one revisited.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 04:11 pm:

John F. Burns - Beautiful set of pictures of what was obviously a fun day! Thanks so much for posting! It's interesting to look at the different designs and especially (for me) to compare the different designs of the metal link tracks. Makes one wonder what was actually the best designed link tracks, and why,..........??? In fact, these pictures serve to "stir" the imagination. It occurred to me that it might be interesting to try to design and build some kind of a "skid-steer" machine with one driven Model "T" rear end and four Model "T" wheels connected with whatever would be the most suitable link tracks. Maybe use large drum Model "T" rear end with individually lever operated brakes for steering? Sort of like the modern Bobcat, only with wheels connected by link tracks and built with Model "T" components. Yeah,.....I know,......I have perhaps a "too vivid" imagination! But then look at the videos of that "screw" type snow machine built by Ford many years ago, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 04:22 pm:

Hey, it just occurred to me that if my "wild idea" is actually ("do-able") I know a guy who could design & build it too! How about it Bob McDonald,....is a Model "T" skid-steer snow machine an idea worth considering?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 04:24 pm:

Actually, now that I look closer at Bob Trevan's post, it looks like a "one-axle" skid steer machine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ron lemmerman on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 06:31 pm:

Here ya go Harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 06:38 pm:

John Burns
Is that Bob Weis' Coupe snowmobile?
Bob is a long time Model T friend of mine from Peterborough, NH
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 07:59 pm:

Well I'll be darned! And I thought I had such a clever idea! I suppose that just about anything that can be done with Model "T's has already been done, huh? I wonder if anybody knows anything about that 8-wheel Model "T" snow machine? It certainly must be a "skid-steer" outfit so now I just wonder how successful (or not) it was! Bob MacDonald,....know anything about that one besides the photo Ron L. posted?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 08:19 pm:

What fun. Almost makes me wish it snowed in San Diego, Naw I'm not going that far, but it does look like great fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F Burns on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 12:10 pm:

Answers to questions:

Yes, the Snowmobile Coupe was formerly owned by Bob Weis of Dublin, NH. It was sold/traded to another Model T Ford Snowmobile Club member about 5 years ago.

On the question of snowmobile tracks. The first tracks were a canvas belt with metal cleats attached. Next came the metal tracks manufactured by the Snowmobile Company.

As far as effectiveness goes the belted canvas tracks work well although they seem to come off the wheels more often than the metal tracks.

The metal tracks work very well, but in some cases metal tire chains or rope tied around the wheel prevent drive wheel slippage. Back when the snowmobiles were manufactured in the 1920's a tire company made knobby ties for the drive wheel that prevented drive wheel slippage with the metal tracks. Accurate reproduction copies of the metal tracks are made by NH Snocar.

One of the pictures show a Model A with tracks made by the owner of the vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 01:17 pm:

Watched a video made by these guys at our Model T club meeting last night. They look like an absolute hoot!

I know a guy who has a kit for sale... might be worth checking in to, but I'd want a pack of 'em to ride with!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 02:04 pm:

Thank you John F. Burns for the added information!

For anyone that might wish further information, thanks to John, I brought up the NH Snocar web site and it is very interesting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 06:44 pm:

In doing research on the snow units for the model t there is just about as much questionable information on dates, designs, modifications and updates in design as there is (as you know) about dating specifics of those with the model T.
The Lugged Tires were first made in the hard rubber style by the Snow Flyer Co in 1926-7 and tube type in 1929-30. see pictures.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration