Why would some one do this?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Why would some one do this?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Godfrey on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 04:35 pm:

speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Godfrey on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 04:36 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Godfrey on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 04:37 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 04:53 pm:

I can't tell from the pictures what's been done to it, other than that weird exhaust pipe, but I see it has a 26-27 fan hub and pre-26 pedals. Looks like some kind of non-T steering gear too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Godfrey on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 04:56 pm:

Notice that the engine is mounted under the frame instead of on top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 04:58 pm:

The engine has been lowered in the frame, possibly for a lower center of gravity as in a speedster.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 04:59 pm:

What Richard said

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 05:03 pm:

Chuck,

It looks to me like they lowered the engine in the chassis. With everything else being equal the chassis with the lowered engine should corner better as the center of gravity is lower. Of course you loose some ground clearance but if you are running on dirt tracks etc. that probably is not an issue. If you have some additional photos or information that might help clarify what it was used for or intended to be used for.

Agree with Steve that it looks like a non-standard steering box. Based on only three photos my first guess is it is someone's attempt to build a speedster with a lower center of gravity. [Note lowering the front axle and rear axle would also lower the center of gravity.]

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 05:03 pm:

Yeah, me too. Probably done for a speedster or racer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 05:04 pm:

You have to type fast with this group -- yes, what Richard and Jerry Van said.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 05:13 pm:

The exhaust system would indicate a Speedster and lowering the engine would make is less useful for anything else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 05:36 pm:

Lowing the engine would put the driveshaft in more of a straight line. That would help cut power loss in the drive train??? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 07:39 pm:

I would say it was used on the street, but could have been a speedster/hill climber/racer. The main exhaust pipe appears to be plugged so that when on the street, not racing, exhaust is diverted through a exhaust pipe and muffler. Plug would be removed for go faster applications and to make noise. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration