What is it? I am sure its not model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: What is it? I am sure its not model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Godfrey on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 08:51 pm:

I have not found anyone who can tell me what this is yet, any ideals

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Godfrey on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 08:52 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 09:19 pm:

It looks like an old ignition coil. The round thing with the holes in it is probably a wire wound ballast resistor which most likely is open. GM used coils that typically were round and had external attached ballast resistor. Look for a ceramic plate under that metal shield and some resistance wire wound circular and often then laid into a furrow made in the ceramic. The 2 hex thumb nuts on the top are probably the primary winding and the side connection could be the spark output with a ground being supplied maybe from the mounting brackets. Just guessing on the actual details but it has the look of an early GM ignition coil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Godfrey on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 09:25 pm:

John, your description is right on the mark. here is another picture showing the coiled spring. also the outside appears to be made of a cardboard like material which is nailed together. it weights about 2lb or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 09:27 pm:

Could it be a horn driver for a siren or loudspeaker?

What does the writing on it say?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Godfrey on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 09:31 pm:

ones says Bat the other says INT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:25 pm:

It's an ignition coil, I believe from a Buick of the teens era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:29 pm:

My '14 Hudson had a coil just like that on it.
Actually it's still on it just not being used now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:42 pm:

An ignition coil. I have one similar to it on the shelf. The '25 Pierce Arrow I used to have had a similar one that still worked. I like to see those repaired and used on early cars. It is a detail too often overlooked.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:52 pm:

A couple of them, a Delco and a Remy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 07:09 am:

On several of the coils I have seen of this "type" the resistance coil was physically broken at one end or the other and one snapped apart in the middle. If the winding is shorted then the resistor will overheat and fail but I think the resistor can fail simply from fatigue of its resistance wire being heated and cooled many times and then also vibration can cause metal fatigue. I repaired the resistor on 3 of them for a friend in my T club who screwed around with GM cars. Couldn't find any actual resistance specs so just did some seat of the pants guessing based upon the metal gauge. He said they worked fine but I wasn't too happy about not knowing what the resistance was supposed to be since resistance wire can vary over a very wide range and still look the same. The internal capacitor presents a separate problem and one might be better off simply hiding a modern one on the outside. The physical location of the capacitor isn't really too critical.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Godfrey on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 08:50 am:

Wow you all where a great help thanks Kerry for the picture. So I guess the one I have is a Remy never would have thought there was a set of points inside.
Going to post another Item that I would like to know how it is used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:51 pm:

Amazing....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 03:37 am:

I do not believe the points are inside the coil. They are part of the distributor unit also shown in the illustration.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration