OT - I keep "stumbling" across this Model K photo, can anyone tell where it is from?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - I keep "stumbling" across this Model K photo, can anyone tell where it is from?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 10:43 pm:

Originally I thought this might be the Model K that participated on the Scottish and Irish Reliability Tours in 1907, but that K had different sidelamps.

Does anyone have an idea based on the number on the radiator, terrain, banners and dress of the occupants where this photo was taken?

Thanks,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 11:06 pm:

I don't think that is a licence plate as according to my research the UK system use one or two letters followed by up to a four digit number. The letter was assigned according to the area.
So think was a number for a specific event.

This is the source of what I found:

The first series of number plates was issued in 1903 and ran until 1932, consisting of a one- or two-letter code followed by a sequence number from 1 to 9999.[17] The code indicated the local authority in whose area the vehicle was registered. In England and Wales, these were initially allocated in order of population size (by the 1901 census) - thus A indicated London, B indicated Lancashire, C indicated the West Riding of Yorkshire and so on up to Y indicating Somerset, then AA indicated Hampshire, AB indicated Worcestershire and so on up to FP indicating Rutland.
The letters G, S and V were initially restricted to Scotland, and the letters I and Z to Ireland. In both cases, allocations of codes were made in alphabetical order of counties, followed by county boroughs[18] - thus in Scotland, Aberdeenshire was allocated SA, Argyll received SB and so on, while in Ireland Antrim was allocated IA, Armagh received IB, and so on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 12:24 am:

Tony,

Thanks. Maybe this is an Australian or NZ car? It definitely looks like a "working" car. There is another non K behind it.

Two pics of the K in the 1907 Scottish & Irish Reliability tour. No windshield, and 1906-early 1907 sidelamps and headlamps:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:11 am:

Rob,

I always enjoy your research, thank you for sharing it with it us. You never know which one of us may see another photo of that K with a better description or information that leads to a better description.

If you also can share where you found the photo(s) before – sometimes that can give folks a lead. It may also lead us in the wrong direction -- especially now where it is so easy for anyone to copy a photo from a web site in one part of the world and put it on their web site in a different part of the world. But even when it points us in the wrong direction sometimes that can be helpful also. So if it is not a lot of effort (sometimes I forget to put where I found the photo – and it would take forever to find it again) please let us know where you found the previous copies -- in the magazines, web sites, – are they AU, NZ, UK, USA, etc?

Note also that magazines sometimes used the wrong photo. Or had two of the photos swapped in the same magazine. I’ve see that before where the captions were clearly swapped on the same page or even a few pages apart. I was an editor for a military safety magazine once and even after 15 different folks in our safety shop looked at the proof copy – we still had readers send in notes with corrections. The problem is we are human and make mistakes. Also there is a deadline and if you did not have the photo you wanted you often used a representative photo and sometimes you forgot to add “file photo” etc.

And having additional folks take a look at the photos can be helpful also. They may see some items that were missed before. I looked at photo of our 1915 Blackie for years, and I even drove the car for years, and it was not until the 1980s that I finally noticed it had the later 1917-1922 windshield hinges rather than the correct 1915-early mid 1917 windshield hinges.

A couple of comments on the two photos you added of the Model K in the 1907 Scottish & Irish Trials. Note that some items that can easily be changed out may have been changed (or not). For example in the top photo (second photo in the thread) the Model K has a top but the lower photo (third photo) cropped and zoomed in on below does not have a top. But it was not uncommon to remove the top to save weight if you were entering any type of contest. So that could make sense.

But notice the 3rd photo had the later 1907-08 square style side lamps rather than the bullet side lamps shown in photo number 2. I suspect there is a chance that photo # 2 and #3 are of two different cars also. Or, perhaps the photo number 2 was taken when the Model K was newer and the owner had also changed out the side lamps to make his car look like the new model? But I don’t think photo #2 and #3 were taken within a few days of each other. If they were – I’m leaning towards two different Model Ks rather than the same one. A higher resolution photo might also allow you to read the license tag under the front axle of the Model K. I think it appears to be a white background with black letters rather than the black background with white/light colored letters of the other two cars in the same photo.

Again thank you for sharing your research with us. I believe you have uncovered and shared more information on the Model K than anyone else I can think of recently. I’m also glad you purchased a Model K Ford and not a different manufacture’s car – or we may never have learned so much about the Model Ks.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:45 am:

Hap,

As always, thank you for the comments and review. Most of these pics I've copied over the last three years, and unless otherwise credited, were retrieved using Google book search.

I had not noticed the second Scottish Trial Model K pictured has different sidelamps. I believe the second photo, with model K pictured behind the 60 hp Napier, is a true photo of the K on the trial. I do know the Model K barely made it to Scotland in time to be assembled and rushed into service for the reliability contest. My suspicion now is either the car was 'cleaned up" for the other photo (with bale handled lamps) or it is a different Model K.

As for the original photo (beginning of the thread), I thought that K was in one of the Commonwealth countries based on the dress (especially the caps), however may be in any country in the world (although I suspect it's not the U.S., again based on dress).

Thank you for the information,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 04:05 am:

Rob, the photo is quite a mystery. Unfortunately there is not enough specific scenery or plant growth to assist.The deer stalker hats worn by two of the gents., suggest U.K., but then they were worn occasionally in other countries. The number is unlikely to be one from an Australian State for it to be that high that early, and in New Zealand, they used a couple of letters to identify the town or region, then numbers. If it is not a registration plate, then what is it? 4561 is an awfully high number unless the numbers denote some code.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 12:51 pm:

It's a meeting of the Shurlock Holmes Society. That almost looks like Basil Rathbone in the back seat. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 04:18 pm:

Moriarity strikes again...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 10:54 pm:

Elementary, my dear Watson.....

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration