OT - Models K, N and "pre T" in Duetchland

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - Models K, N and "pre T" in Duetchland
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 07:38 am:

I'm attempting to track down two Model K sent to Berlin in mid1906, and came across this 1907 German publication. Unfortunately, mein Duetch ist nicht gut.

The magazine cover:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 12:17 pm:

Never knew I owned a Doppelphaeton !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 01:34 pm:

It's Deutschland, Rob.

Interesting how many of the early cars were advertised and sold in other parts of the world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 03:48 pm:

I told you my Duetch (duetsch) was not good....

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 04:55 pm:

Rob,

I can make out the first line in the ad...

Ford Motor - Company * Detroit U.S.A.

If that's any help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 05:14 pm:

Dennis,

Days ist sehr gut, mein freund.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 05:16 pm:

Darn auto correct, "Das", not "Days."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 06:16 pm:

The text is a technical description of both models N and K.
I've only studied german for a couple of years 30+ years ago so I can't speak it though I can understand the text. For example the top speeds are given as 60 km/h (37 mph) for the N and 80 km/h (50 mph) for the K.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 06:37 pm:

Here is my best translation starting with "In gro▀zügiger Weise."

The Plants have generously accommodated the production and have limited themselves to two models which have proven successful, the 15 horsepower 4 cylinder and the 40 horsepower 6 cylinder.
The 15 horsepower car has paired together cast cylinders. All valves are to one side. The inlet and outlet pipes are of one casting and are easy to remove. The ignition takes place by means of batteries, Coils, and candles ( I guess this means spark plugs). The cooling takes place by means of a finned tube radiator, Pump, and a fan. The transmission is of the planetary type and has two speeds and reverse. The hand lever to the right of the driver seat switches between first and second gear and also neutral, while a foot pedal engages the reverse. The high speed is direct mesh. The engine and transmission housing form a block. (I'm not sure about the next part but, I think it says to read more about planetary transmissions in a specified book.)A well-protected drive shaft carries the power to the rear axle. On the front axle lies a transverse spring while shocks from the rear axle are absorbed by fully elliptical springs. The frame is of pressed sheet steel. The brakes are independent of each other and are controlled by foot pedals. The dimensions are: wheel base 2.1m (82.68 in), track 1.4m (55.12 in),and total length 3m (118.11 in). The top speed is 60 km (37 mph).

The six cylinder is similarly constructed. Here the cylinders are separate. It has double ignition, high voltage magneto and batteries. The brakes are a hand brake which acts on the rear axle and a foot brake which acts on the drive shaft. Otherwise, the large car is constructed as the small four cylinder. Wheel base 2.85m (112.2 in), track 1.4m (55.12 in). The top speed is 50 mph.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 07:16 pm:

I would be interested to find out what the prices would be equivalent to today.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 08:49 pm:

Stephen,

I had to do a little digging, but came up with a U. S. Postal conversion of .239 (One Deutschmark equalled 23.9 cents) in 1910.

If so, the conversion of marks to dollars for the Fords listed would follow:

James Couzens, Ford Motor Company CFO (the title I'm giving him tonight) returned from Europe in late summer of 1907 and the press reported he had commitments for 5,000 Fords. He travelled to several Western European capitol cities including Berlin and Paris, and I wonder if that is when they learned of the impending Model T.

I find it interesting a German magazine had a description and price for the future Model T by late 1907.

Danke Schoen for translating the text,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 08:51 pm:

Oops, the taxi should have been $1577, I fat fingered 6000 mark instead of 6600.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:08 pm:

I was working on something else a while ago that ties into the conversion prices. It seems like a big markup, $900 more for a Model K in Germany and over $300 more for a Model N than in the U.S.

However, the "International Motor Cyclopedia of 1908" listed 110 six cylinder cars of 30 or more horsepower (world wide). Of those 110 models, only 8 sold for less than the Ford Model K ($2800).

And, of 240 four Cylinder 1908 Models listed at 20 horsepower or less, the Model N was the least expensive at $600. I believe that coupled with the fact Fords were well built is the reason they could compete in foreign markets even with added tariffs and commissions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 03:45 am:

Might not just be 'mark up'. There are other factors such as shipping costs and import duty.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration