Reminder. Gas Heaters

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Reminder. Gas Heaters
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:22 am:

Here is a reminder for the cold winter season. Some garages have the propane gas heaters located on the floor in the the garage where our cars mowers and cans of gasoline are stored.

Remember that gasoline fumes are the flammable part of gasoline and, being heavier than air, stay close to the floor and can snake across the floor, far from their source and can explode into flames if they happen to reach an ignition source such as the pilot light of your heater.

Please keep this in mind whenever working on your cars in the garage and cleaning parts with gasoline (not wise) or solvents.

I vividly remember thinking to myself, the following thought, back on March 8, 1986, when, in a moment of carelessness, I caught my house and myself on fire and I was standing there watching it burn and listening to the approaching sirens, while both of my arms were raw of skin having just been extinguished of flames that a few moments before were consuming them: "and it started out as such a beautiful day..." Don't make a dumb mistake and create for yourself, such a memory...Jim Patrick

PS. 2 weeks in the hospital in excruciating pain and months of healing time led to a full recovery. I started rebuilding the house myself and after a few years, everything was back to normal.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 12:21 pm:

Glad it all turned out well in the end, Jim. We all do silly things sometimes without thinking. A post like yours never hurts.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 02:41 pm:

Thank you Bud.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 02:48 pm:

You sometimes have NO idea how things will go

It is also very important to pay attention to your tools
http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/12/09/quebec-man-dies-after-air-compressor-explosi on

this was a friend of mines step brother


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 05:49 pm:

Made me think of an old picture of a garage posted a few days ago. I noticed the large sign that stated "NO SMOKING". My thought was that they didn't post it for health reasons (like today) as much as they used gasoline a lot to clean parts in those days.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 05:58 pm:

mam, bad luck. thanks for the reminder


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 07:30 pm:

A friend of mine was replacing a gas tank in his '68 GT500 Shelby a few days before Christmas several years ago. He started by disconnecting the gas line to drain the 2 or 3 gallons of gas into a pan. There was a gas hot water heater in the garage.

Fortunately he went in the house to answer a phone call about the same time the entire garage was engulfed in an explosive fireball. Trees across the street were set on fire. The house was destroyed. All belongings in the house and two collector cars were lost, as well as two cars in the driveway. Christmas presents were gone.

No one was hurt fortunately.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 09:54 am:

A local body shop about 5000 sq ft a worker was changing out a gas tank with about a gallon of gas in the tank while wiggling the tank out he spilled the fuel on the floor and incidentally at the same time he bumped his incandescent trouble light on to the concrete floor where it exploded an so did the gasoline. This was a major 3 alarm fire with almost a dozen cars destroyed. Just a moment of carelessness. Even though all open flames are extinguished mind the trouble light.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester W. Lowery TN on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 11:06 am:

Not only inside: just this fall my wife's 72 year old Uncle, who has farmed all his life and strong as an Ox was burning his garden off like he does every fall using Diesel fuel.... But this time unknown to him some had spilled on him... As he ignited the brush the hot flames ignited him.... It was so severe he was flown to Vanderbilt Hospital where he stayed in intensive care for two weeks until he passed.....A task he had performed for many years and know to be a careful person.....Just a little too careless that time.....And it's that time that gets us all...He was such a good man and a real loss to his family and the community.......Be very cautious and careful....I have used diesel fuel for many things but remember, it also will ignite......Just a word for thought.....Chet


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 11:16 am:

"The Devils in the details" comes to mind here.


Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 08:52 pm:

Thank you all for these reminders! We all need to read these things again from time to time.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2


Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration