Ghosts of Chickasha Past

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Ghosts of Chickasha Past
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 05:26 pm:

With five weeks to go, here's a little bit of antidote for the bah humbug of winter. These are some shots from past meets back to 2008.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 05:51 pm:

Steve;
Could u put some captions on the pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 05:54 pm:

ok, i'm going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 06:10 pm:

THANKS STEVE FOR POSTING THE PHOTOS. IT IS GREAT TO SEE SOME FACES FROM THE PAST.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 06:19 pm:

What happened to the Pizza party?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 06:58 pm:

Mike
The venue food vendors complained about us giving away free pizza in plain sight. They were kind enough to provide another location, but it was crowded and hard to find. Attendance waned so we called it quits.
Ron Patterson, John Regan and Don Lang

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 07:05 pm:

Thanks Steve for the good photo's, I talked to John Steele today, says Stan has been in texas making his CD (music), nice to see Bruce's photo again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 07:58 pm:

Thank you for those pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:22 pm:

OK, here are the ones I know for sure. There are some I think I know, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll use a question mark for those and somebody else can ID them.

#1 ?, John Regan, center, ?
#2 Wednesday, March 17, 1915 touring
#3 ?, Bruce McCalley, John Regan (top hat), ?
#4 Model TT truck with some tire wear
#5 1886 Benz replica from McPherson college
#6 John Steele, Stan Howe, Mike Walker, Dan Conder, Jack Daron, ?
#7 1913 touring made from Rootlieb body parts
#8 John Danuser (seated, red cap) and parts
#9 Northeast corner of the south building
#10 McPherson students assembling a car
#11 1906 Ford Model N
#12 Part of my haul last year

(Message edited by admin on February 13, 2014)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:32 pm:

#6 is John Steel,Stan Howe ,Mike Walker,Dan Conder ,Jack Daron,and George House.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:36 pm:

Here are a few of my pics, do not know how to tag them as they are just random photos.... Can not wait to go again ....chickasheaChickashea 2Chickashea 3Chickashea 4Chickashea 5Chickashea 6

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:38 pm:

Pic #6 -- Between me and Uncle Jack is Dan Conder. Far right is George House.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:44 pm:

Guess I'm gonna' need to take some speed typing lessons. :-)

In John's 4th pic, the '25 RPU body and bed were restored by Jerry Sweet and were being delivered to Bill and Nellie Howell, who are Webmaster and Newsletter Editor of our Ark. Tin Lizzies club.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:47 pm:

Excuse me -- That should be Donnie's pics, not John's. I had John Steele on the brain because that's his speedster in the first pic. Those pics are from two years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:56 pm:

Gosh that last photo of the red speedster looks good! Who says speedsters have to be lowered, right? Actually, from years of looking at old photos and such, I really believe that "MOST" speedsters "back in the day" were not lowered. After all, lowering took more work, time and money, even back then, just like nowadays. And frankly, that was the reason for a lot of speedsters and racers in those days, especially during the depression,.....no money! And as for the picture above of the red one, I think those Whippet radiator shells just always look really good, on a lowered speedster or otherwise! Thanks for posting the photo of THAT ONE Donnie,.....makes me wish I was young enough and ambitious enough to do something with that nice straight frame and spare '27 engine block I have!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 10:02 pm:

Yeah, I was thinking Dan and George, but CRS had me wondering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 10:14 pm:

Here are a few I have from the first year I went-1995. There were quite a few trailers full of early projects like this in the first years. I'll see if I can find more including complete cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 10:47 pm:

the last 3 pixs are of mark frymillers load.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 10:54 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 11:18 pm:

You never know when someone is taking your picture. Lol I see myself all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 11:25 pm:

Top Pic
Lena Schritter far left
Clarence Schritter far Right
Gerald Thiele Baseball cap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 11:27 pm:

Willie in Houston on right with hat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 11:46 pm:

You may have seen them before, but here we go - from my trip in 2010:
Day 1 - Line up: https://picasaweb.google.com/117562694441280715434/ChickashaPrewarSwapmeetTour20 10Day1LineUp

Day 2: The Swapmeet: https://picasaweb.google.com/117562694441280715434/ChickashaPrewarSwapmeetTour20 10Day2TheSwapmeet

Day 3: A little more + Route 66: https://picasaweb.google.com/117562694441280715434/ChickashaPrewarSwapmeetTourDa y3Route66

Enjoy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 12:29 am:

In Michael's picture with Bruce, John, Ron, and Dave, can anybody ID the other two guys?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 12:38 am:

Those pictures of the restored Rock Island station remind me that the first time I was in Chickasha in 1986 one of the doors still had a White Waiting Room sign on it. Not all segregation was in the deep South.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 03:06 am:

Steve's pictures bring back a lot of memories for me, especially picture number eight with John Danuser. The TT cab with the faded yellow paint is the one that me and my deceased best friend and mentor brought home to his house from a farmer's back lot from near Barada NE. in the early to mid sixties. We were best friends for fifty three years. The cab was in very good condition. We cleaned it up as best as we could with wire brushes and a drill with a wire wheel, and painted it with zinc chromate primer. It ended up setting outside for many many years until he got a building big enough to store it inside with most of his other T stuff. John bought it at my friend's estate sale, and I think he sold it to a fellow down south somewhere that will take very good care of it. I still have the Rocky Mountain "Six Speed" transmission that was on it when we brought it home. His widow graciously let me have it. Thanks for the pictures and the memories Steve. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 09:13 am:

That #7 picture where Rootlieb assembled a Model T with new parts, what year is that??
I know it isn't a '13.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 09:17 am:

Donnie;
What year was those pictures taken??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 10:23 am:

Donnie's pics are from two years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 10:26 am:

On #7 I was going by memory. A dangerous practice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 10:26 am:

Richard: The pic are from 2012. Michael: Nice pics, I remember lots of the things as you show them. Harold: Here are some more red speedster pics for you. I was interested in the Whippet Radiator as that is what is going on my speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 10:30 am:

red speedster red speedster 2red speedster 3red speedster 4red speedster 5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 10:40 am:

Steve - the gentleman with the cap and a newly lid cigaret is Don Lang. The bearded fellow in the distance I did not know who is. Just a bystander I think.
Bruce, John (turning the back towards us), Don and Ron has just landed. There was a lot of fuss going on in the Forum back then, that they where driving down in Rons Toyota. At that time there where all sorts of stories in the news about Toyotas running their own ways.
It was the last Chikasha Swapmeet where we saw Bruce. I'm glad I got the chance to meet him.
(and the rest of the gang for that matter).
I have showed the pictures at several meetings in danish clubs and there are some interest in trying to come over. Many have been on Hersey and would like to try something else. So who knows. 2015 maybe....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 01:13 pm:

Donnie Brown - Thanks for the added pics of the speedster. Not only love the Whippet radiator, but there's some interesting details under the hood too! (....besides the Rajo....) Wonder if that engine-turned aluminum heat shield between exhaust manifold and air cleaner was put there to ensure cooler air for intake and a bit more power, or if it was put there due to a "problem" caused by heat from hot exhaust manifold,...??? Interesting,.....thanx again,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 04:41 pm:

Michael, I don't know who the fellow in your photo is, but it's not Don Lang.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 04:52 pm:

Dang - my eyes really are going - I still can't find the cigaret!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 05:22 pm:

Don Lang does not smoke

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 08:50 pm:

OK, so let's put the picture here and ask. Who is the guy with the Santa beard and the cap? Who's the gent with the brown cap?

What Michael thought was a cigarette is actually part of the trailer wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 09:50 pm:

The fellow with the brown cap and tan pants is Phil Ganz. He is also in the very first picture sitting to my left. He used to come to Chicasha as part of our 4some of Ron Patterson, Bruce McCalley, John Regan and Phil Ganz. Phil has not attended for a couple of years now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 12:45 am:

The Touring made from Rootleib parts is a 1912.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 12:49 am:

Here is a picture from the mid 1990's. The red had is Cecil Church, red suspenders is Tom Timm, red shirt is Homer Edmiston, white had and sun glasses is Cecil Ralston and me in the white T shirt. At Homers feet are 4 early clam shell rear axles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 07:16 am:

Kim,

I knew the "irascible" Homer Edmiston well (I miss that character), and Cecil Church was a previous caretaker of our Model K. I believe Cecil Ralston owned a few Model K, along with a Model B over the years. Quite an assortment of early Ford knowledge in that photo!

Thank you for posting the pic,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 08:42 am:

Rob,
I had no idea Cecil was a prior owner of your K. With more than a little effort I cranked it into life either at the '76 Glidden Tour in CO or the first combined MTFCA/MTFCI tour at Deadwood, SD in '82. One of these days I'll relate a trick I pulled on Homer at Chickasha. Was hilarious and I greatly miss him too. He loved it when I called him 'Major' (Nebraska Nat'l Guard)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 09:05 am:

George,
You wouldn't believe the number of people who have told me they rode in Cecil Church's (now our) Model K. Two gentlemen in Nebraska have rode in our K, then told me they had rides in a K before, Cecil Church's.

Yes, Homer was one of a kind. He was a World War 2 veteran who retired as a Major from the Nebraska National Guard. At one time I was an Aide de Camp to one of our General Officers, and he used to tell stories about Major Edmiston (long before I was involved with old cars). Small world...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 07:02 pm:

I have a 1910 2cyl. REO that Homer said I bought it out from under his nose. Bought the REO from Don Cleveland in Nebraska. That was in 1973...still enjoy the REO's along with T's. Was able to get the history on what family/farm our REO originally came from. My Great grandfather from Germany homesteaded in Glenville Nebraska. I was on an HCCA tour with Homer and Don Cleveland in Idaho .....Don wanted to buy back the our restored 1910 REO. Smile!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 09:13 pm:

I really liked that Homer Edmiston. Almost every time I saw him I heard him first. I think I still have his phone number in my phone. He helped me out a lot on different style wire wheels and was full of information. He said he used to buy every wire wheel he could find.
The last couple of years when talking to him about wires he said that he used to be the go to guy with wire wheels but he thought John Danuser had taken his place.
I will never forget that phrase he used to use: "The thing is..."
RIP Homer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 09:59 pm:

Robbie he used to call me the wire wheel man, Many a time he would call, I like you was at his place yrs ago needing wheels, so he opened a barn and in an old crib said take your pick, I had 1 wheel and got 4 more that day. Super fellow he was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Geisler on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 10:59 pm:

Those guys in that LAST photo are the one's that I remember!!!!! We were younger then. I could find parts and help from EACH one of them!!!!
God Bless them! I miss 'em.
Joe in Apollo Beach, Fla. back then!!!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration