Who Makes the Available Replacement Pistons

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Who Makes the Available Replacement Pistons
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 05:37 pm:

Who makes the currently available replacement T aluminum pistons? I knew some used to be made in Taiwan, and the American ones that I am aware of are made by Egge. Egge's retail price is about twice the current vendor's price so I doubt they make them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 05:43 pm:

All of the pistons I have used lately are Asian manufacture and great quality. Perfect balance out of the box, sized right and properly cam ground in shape. No complaints here. I have had no problem with Egge pistons either, though pricier, like everything else made in USA.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 07:31 pm:

The Egge pistons are worth the difference in price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 08:03 pm:

The most common problem with new aluminum pistons seems to be the fit of the piston pins. Most of the new pistons needs to be honed to free up the piston pin fit - if not done, they can seize in use.

The piston pin should be an easy push through the bore with your fingers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 11:17 pm:

I had to buy a set of .040" over pistons for my '25 Dodge.
Got them from Egge......they were IN STOCK and I had them the next day.
PERFECT....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 07:24 am:

I had to pull the engine out of my '13 because it had a piston slap problem that would not go away. Turns out the pistons from China were not cam ground.

I do not want to have that problem ever again, which is why Egge pistons are an infinitely better choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 12:21 pm:

I've never seen a Chinese piston that wasn't cam ground. I just checked a bunch that I have (a dozen or so sets), all are cam ground. When installed with proper clearances, I've had excellent luck with Chinese pistons. The Egge pistons do not have the correct (1 - 15/16") compression distance. They are 2". Their ring complement is also different from the Chinese pistons, which is really of no consequence in general, but for me it matters because Egge pistons do not conform to the rules of the Montana 500 for the above mentioned reasons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 12:34 pm:

so Tom, which are you recommending; Egge or foreign?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 01:08 pm:

I have been using low-expansion alloy (do not use the regular racing alloys in a street car as w/the extra clearance needed they are noisy), aluminum forged pistons that I have ordered from a couple of the US racing piston companies, for at least a dozen years now.

They are especially good in any early car that gets run hard. They are also good for a speedster or anything w/a OHV head.

The cost is higher, but it is the old you get what you pay for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 01:18 pm:

Terry, it depends on what you are doing. In general, I would recommend the Chinese pistons. they work and they are cheaper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 01:29 pm:

Terry Woods:

Get you oriental pistons from Ford and More. They not only sell top of the line parts but the are some of the top T mechanics anywhere. Ford and More phone number is 1-800-327-7469. You will not be sorry.

Roger Karlsson is correct about the wrist pins. I go clear back to where the ONLY place you could by aluminum pistons that I knew of was from Argentina. I am not sure that I ever bought a set of aluminum piston from anywhere that I didn't need to hone at least one piston pin. I like to slap a piston in my cupped hand and see if the pin will come out, if not I HONE.

Hone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 01:31 pm:

Hone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 05:55 pm:

Try Jahns...they are sand cast, but can be had in a variety of custom designs, including popups (domed).
I have had good experiences with them over the years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 06:52 pm:

Got these from Lang's about 8 mos ago. Wrist pins had sufficient clearance and they have performed well so far. From Taiwan not PRC. Nicely finished.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration