Any clues in this photo for a date? Highland Park Craneway

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Any clues in this photo for a date? Highland Park Craneway
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Rentz on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 07:51 pm:

My grandfather worked for Ford Motor from 1910 to 1919. He worked directly under Ed Gray, one of the designers of the Highland Park Plant along with Albert Kahn. In the old photos I found a photo that seems rather unique as I haven't seen any others like it- the craneway at Highland Park. Someone told me that the steel wheels, lower right, would date it after my grandfather worked there, but I saw a post saying steel wheels were used in the 'teens'. Any ideas?Craneway at Highland Park
A larger version is visible at http://www.flickr.com/photos/rushhourphoto/4060164764/sizes/o/in/photolist-7bMpwL-7gWtmt-5CfF1r-5CW2mJ-9NzyN9/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 08:07 pm:

Not sure what you mean by "steel wheels."

All wood spoke Model T wheels had steel rims.

Because that is a factory photo, it's possible that the original negative survives and resides in the Benson Ford Research Center. If it does, then a date for the photo may also be available.

http://www.thehenryford.org/research/index.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 08:24 pm:

Looks like a pile of clinchers from where I sit in my Archie Bunker chair.
That would be right for the teens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 08:56 pm:

I can't help with the date but, it appears to be earlier than other pics we usually see. Most interesting is how the loading balconies only have pipe railings instead of buckets like the pic below. I guess someone must have dropped a box of parts on someone's head. In the first pic above, you can see the markings for section "X" on the left and "W" on the right as well as the number floor and balcony number. The pic I posted below shows section "X" and "Y" so it may not be the same spot. Bucket X3 40 sure took a beating. I bet Henry was not happy about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:03 pm:

Not a very good "indicator", however, having spent most of my adult life on the RR, I would say that those wooden boxcars with the old-fashioned staff hand brakes certainly look to be "pre-war", and just a general guess for sure, but I'd say depression years in the '30's or even '20's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:41 pm:

Can't tell for sure but the items do look like wire spoke wheels and that would put it about late 25 to 27.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 02:35 am:

I just enlarged the photo and was thinking they are wire wheels also.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration