Preferred Reading

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Preferred Reading
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:10 pm:

Instead of reading age appropriate books, my 2 1/2 year old grandson always prefers looking through magazines and books with old Fords, especially Model T's. This is not a staged picture, this is actually what he does. He keeps asking when the snow is going away, so he can go for a ride in the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 09:28 pm:

A wise lad with impeccable taste.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 10:05 pm:

Hey Steve,....don't let Dan fool ya'! That little guy would read a Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse book once in awhile if he could, but Grandpa's just making sure that "the boy" becomes properly "T" indoctrinated first!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 06:47 am:

OK Dan, Tell the real story....

Your Grandson is actually reading the magazine to you! You can admit now that you just look at the photos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 08:19 am:

My boys agree. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 08:24 am:

Harold, Seriously I've tried reading the boy child books, but he shows little interest. His favorites are any T or V-8 magazine, Langs catalog- which he takes to church. Also, a few Ford 100th anniversary books, Model T directories, and Bruce McCalleys Model T Ford. I've watched Mickey Mouse with him a few times, what a joke, it's not like when we were kids. Now it is politically correct, and learning in the most boring way.

Dennis, you may be correct, 20 to 30 years from now, but for now he's the photo boy.

Derek, That's a cute picture. Love having the kids show interest in our Model T hobby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 09:55 am:

That is great to share the car stuff with kids. You never know what they will find fascinating. I didn't want my kids to bend or soil the car literature and that was a mistake. I thought of giving my grandson a T parts book for Christmas and then seeing if he liked identifying parts out in the garage.

When you think of the things that intrigued you as a child, why not old cars?

Rich

Good for you Dan and Derek.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 10:11 am:

There are way too many T folks out there that say their sons have no interest in Model T's, and will probably not follow along in dads foot steps. I disagree. I believe that if a child is properly intentionally included in our hobby, including swap meets and tours, they will follow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 10:15 am:

Dan your grandson is very special, and very fortunate to have you as his mentor!

My son had the same "affliction" when he was that age, and never lost it. When my son was in middle school, he would walk to our local auto repair/ parts store to hang out after school. The owner would save all the shopworn manuals for him to take home for his library. He made friends with the mechanics and when I would pick him up after school I would usually find him in the shop under a hood in deep discourse with the mechanics discussing repairs.

He is now working on his ASC certificate, delivering parts, doing repairs and helping the parts manager find the right part for the shop's customers!

Your Grandson seems to have that same appetite for car knowledge! Keep him well fed.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration