1919 engine in 1914 Touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1919 engine in 1914 Touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philippe BROST, France on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 12:47 pm:

The engine and transmission of my 1914 Touring is currently being rebuilt but it takes time.
I have a complete running engine and transmission from 1919. Will it fit directly the 1914 car ? The 1919 also has no starter
1914 has a low head and brass radiator, 1919 has a high head and steel radiator. Will there be any problem with water hose ? Is there any thing else that will need some modification ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 12:54 pm:

The outlet on the head is in the same place low or high head. You would need to use the upper hose and the outlet from the 14. Other then that will fit right in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 01:00 pm:

Depends on what you are trying to do. In terms of the engine and transmission fitting in the car - no problem, all the holes should line up and not be an issue provided the oil pans on both engines are straight and your frame is straight (even if not it'll be close enough not to matter).

The issue will be which radiator you want to use. If you want to use the brass rad with the 1919 engine, you will need to swap out the upper water outlets. The brass radiator upper inlet sits much lower than the steel radiator, if you look at both engines you'll see the '14 water outlet has a much flatter angle. That's really the only thing you will have to change though.

If, on the other hand, for some reason you want to use the high radiator with the '19 engine, that will also work fine, but you won't be able to use the same hood - which means you'd also have to swap out the hood former on the firewall. But I would think you'd want to keep the brass radiator on a '14. A mostly 1914 T with a '19 hood and radiator would look weird.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 01:02 pm:

Sorry, Mark was quicker on the trigger and much more succinct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 01:18 pm:

Philippe Brost:

If you can install a Low head on your 19 motor. A 19 has the high head and the hose will not match a low radiator. Another thing you can do until you get your 14 motor back is install a flex hose. Other than the head and radiator not meeting, I see no other problem. If you have a starter on your 19 motor you may have a problem with the fire wall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 01:28 pm:

Dave is onto something there - if the '14 engine has a low head, use that instead of the high head on the '19. More for the HP increase than anything else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 05:45 pm:

I used the low head on my 1919 Runabout and on my 1921 Touring restoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philippe BROST, France on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 03:08 am:

That's good news, I will be back on the road in a few days !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 04:10 am:

There also may be a chance that the higher head of the 1919 engine may not quite clear the cut-out in the firewall. Again, the easiest thing may be to use the low head from the '14 engine (as long as it does not need serious repair).
But yes, you should be on the road in a couple days with not too much work. Enjoy the drives while you wait for the '14 engine to return and do the swap all over again.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration