Building a trailer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Building a trailer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Velling, Germany on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 04:13 pm:

I am building a trailer for towing with the T. Please i need most of possible pictures for some ideas. Have had a look at Toon Boer trailer...fine. then i send a mail to a selling guy in the last vintage magazine. here i got no answer :-)

Thanks a lot

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 06:50 pm:

Michael
Here are couple of important rules!!
1. You need to have about 80-100 KG of weight on the hitch when loaded. Without weight on the hitch it will be unstable at speed
2. Trailer brakes are probably a legal requirement, and you want them anyway!!! "Surge" brakes operated from the hitch coupler work OK. Electric are also popular.

Some design options;
1. A T is light in weight. I have had good success with a single axle AND it tows easier.
2. If you are towing on a lot of narrow roads I would consider making the deck run above the wheels. Yes it is higher BUT it is much easier to tow on narrow twisty roads and streets. I have one like this that built because I tow on narrow Mexican highways

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 07:36 pm:

I'm reading Michaels post in that he is building a vintage trailer to tow behind the T not put the T on???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Velling, Germany on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 04:02 am:

Yes i own a trailer to transport my T- no problem and new.

I want to build a Trailer for use behind the T.

Parts: 1 Frontaxle etc.

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 04:04 am:

I bought this trailer with a T front axle under it. Here the restoration is nearly complete. I planned to use it behind my Model A, and later fitted an A front axle to it, then did some very long trips towing it behind the A.

As you can see, construction is a wood frame, although it has a steel pipe as a tow bar. The wood sides are reinforced with bent steel braces.

Should you wish to make something similar, I can supply dimensions of this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 03:09 pm:

Peter
Yes you absolutely right. Still some of the same "rules" should be considered. You want weight on the coupler and I would seriously consider surge trailer brakes. Especially when you consider how "wonderful" the brakes on T are!! Where I live you can buy small 7" hydraulic drum brakes rated for a 2000 lb. trailer. A good friend built a camper trailer to pull behind his T and he installed these brakes on it. They are designed to only work well going forwards so backing up is not difficult. Being only 7" and drum type they are inconspicuous. He actually bought a axle assembly and made adapters to bolt on T wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 09:41 pm:

Michael,
You will have to weed out the trailers that you haul a Model T on but you will find several trailers that you pull with a T on this forum.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Model+T+trailer+site:http://www.mtfca.com/discus /messages/&lr=&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=F9L-Uti0I4_zoAT2lIGYDA&ved=0CA oQ_AUoAg&biw=1088&bih=504

And a few not on this site it you do a Google Image search for "Model T trailer".

Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration