Universal Joint Bearing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Universal Joint Bearing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gavin Harris (Napier, NZ) on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 09:21 pm:

Some years back I fitted a ball bearing type bearing to the back of my transmission. I remember having to grind some of the ball of the drive shaft tube away.

A few years ago the drive shaft housing tube broke at the point where it meets up with the pinion bearing casting. I had it welded up and all has been good until very recently when it broke at the same point again.

This time I have dug out another tube but need to grind back the ball again. Problem is; I can't put my hands on the instructions and need to know how much to grind back.

Can anyone help ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 09:28 pm:

You are wasting your time with a ball bearing fourth main. Put an original babbeted one in, or at least one with a bronze bushing. That way you don't have to grind anything, and you don't have to worry about anything breaking either!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gavin Harris (Napier, NZ) on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 10:17 pm:

Too late for that Larry.
The bearing is in and I need (want) the car for next weekend. This is the fastest way for me to do the job at the moment. I will be going back to a babbited bearing next time the engine is out but in the meantime....

Anyone have a copy of the instructions ?

The leading edge of the ball of the "new" tube is very beat up anyway,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 10:46 pm:

Gavin, why don't you use the old ball as a guide. As the old tube as such is history cut off the ball so you can see if it is touching or clear against the bearing, turn it upside down for an unmolested edge and grind away the old ball so the tube can move past where it could bind if the axle drops down when moving.
Then you can measure what needs removing and grind the good tube.

A problem you have also is that what brand is the bearing? several people have come up with these products and they would probably mostly require different amounts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gavin Harris (Napier, NZ) on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 10:59 pm:

Peter, thanks, I would if I could.

The old tube, ball etc. is not here at the moment so can't use that as a guide. I could go get it but thought that someone here would have the info at hand. It is part no. T3369BR in Mac's catalogue.

Thanks for your comment too Larry, good advice but just not practical at the moment. Even when I do have the time, freight both ways (or core charge) and the exchange rate is going to this an expensive option. I will have to ask around to see if/who is pouring these in NZ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 11:10 pm:

3/8 of an inch jump to mind.
I was right;
http://www.modeltford.com/item/3369BBD.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gavin Harris (Napier, NZ) on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 02:34 am:

Thanks Mark,
that's what I wanted.
It is now cut, ground smooth & painted. I will install it tomorrow.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration