Tire suppliers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Tire suppliers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 12:16 pm:

Anyone have any comments about tire 21"quality. I am looking at Lucas brand versus Universal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Voss on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 01:30 pm:

I have the US made Firestones. No weather cracks and very little wear in ten years. Most of the time a little more cost on the front end is cheaper in the long run. Just my two cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 01:47 pm:

Dave - Thanx for asking; I'm interested in the replies you get as I need a set of 4:50 x 21's too!

Tim - Trouble is, according to this forum, there's been a lot of variation in quality in the last 10 years. And I too believe in the old adage, "ya' get whatcha' pay for"! Problem is, nowadays, ya' "DON'T" always get whatcha' pay for anymore! In fact, nowadays, ya' don't even know for sure where the tires were manufactured, or how long they've been in storage (or where) and if they're made with some type of inferior rubber or synthetic compound that will "weather check" in as little as 6 months! Seems like lots of forum guys report that now matter how good the tires looked when new, they "weather checked" in a very short time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 01:51 pm:

Aaahhh,......NO MATTER,.....not now matter! That's the trouble with spellcheck,.......now is a good word,.....(but the wrong word!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 02:12 pm:

I and another friend both bought the Wards Riverside style tires from Lucas. That was 6 months ago.....no cracks so far and I like the tread style. Checking out different brands, these were the best priced tires we could find. We bought a total of 10 tires, tubes and flaps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 02:18 pm:

They make a Wards Riverside in 21"????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 03:20 pm:

I have a set of the 21" bedfords from lucas, not made now they call them something else now. I have 45k on these course they are worn out! No complaints, no flats. Wish I had bought another set when they were still 65 bucks.KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 04:48 pm:

I have Bedfords on my 21" wheels and are happy with them. I would call Lucas and ask them if the Bedfords are now Lucas. I talked to them about 12 years ago and they told me , at the time the Firestones that say made in USA where actually made in New Zealand, the mold says USA. He said he believed the mold was going to Vietnam and that almost all the tires made for antiques are made in Vietnam. I have noticed that my new Goodyear's seem to have a soft tread feel to them. They say made in USA, but I think it's just in the mold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 05:39 pm:

I bought Firestone from one of the T vendors about 5 or 6 years ago. Two cracked within a month or so and two still look brand new. Go figure. These tires currently have low mileage because I drive the Touring more then the Coupe but that should change this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 06:06 pm:

I have extra a set of Sears New 21in tires (4) they have been on wheels because they have overspray on some from someone doing a quickie on wheels, but the little buttons are still showing 125.00 ea = 500.00 set of 4. plus UPS and Insurance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 06:39 pm:

I have about 500 miles an a new set of Lucas 21"s on my 26 pick up. My only complaint so far is that they have some sort of coating on them that turns a funny brown color and I can't seem to get it washed off. I can Armor All them and they look nice for a couple weeks then turn brown again. For 100 a piece, I can't complain. The next least expensive tire was 120. They are all black tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 06:48 pm:

Here is a picture of my Lucas Tires after 200 miles. You can see the discoloration that looks like they have mud or dirt on them but that's how they discolor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 08:13 pm:

Chester, mine do the same, I don't worry much though as I drive in all road conditions and they are dirty most of the time anyway. I thought maybe it was caused by some of the tire cleaner I used but guess not. KGB

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration