When was the dogleg intake manifold discontinued in 1911?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: When was the dogleg intake manifold discontinued in 1911?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ward Sherwood on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 08:29 pm:

Okay, I know, sometime early to mid 1911 the dogleg manifold was replaced. But does anyone have more specific information as to what month, or approximately what engine number the transition was made? I have a May 1911 touring, and I would like to know which intake manifold is most likely correct for this car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ward Sherwood on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 12:50 pm:

One more try. Perhaps no one has researched this or maybe there is no Ford documentation. Has anyone had an original 1911 built in April or May that remembers which intake manifold was on the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 01:26 pm:

The dogleg manifold was used with the Kingston 5 ball and other early carburetors that had the heat tube running forward. The later manifold was used with the Holley carb with the heat tube that ran to the rear.

I have the original drawing for the H1 from Benson Ford. It has an incorporation date which would be the approximate date for the manifold change. Will check and post the results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 07:22 pm:

Checked the drawing - the only date is a revision.

I would say if you plan to use a 5 ball or 6 ball Holley and the car is before June then a dogleg manifold is appropriate. There would have been some time where the new and the old would have possibly intermingled as the new replaced the old.

Certainly anything made after June 1911 would have the later style manifold. Maybe someone else has a firm date?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ward Sherwood on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 11:33 pm:

Hey Royce, thanks for checking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 08:43 am:

My research on this subject is not very thorough but I can add one piece of info that might help. The dog leg intake was NOT discontinued when the new intake came about because it was still needed. I found an obscure note that said the dog leg intake would be continued since it was created to gain clearance for the steering on Right Hand Drive steering and would still need to be used on RHD torpedo cars. Since at time of production it is possible that parts ordered for such production would not necessarily have known if the parts were for RHD or LHD. Since it could be used on either RHD or LHD it is not surprising to notice that EVERY 1911 torpedo has a dog leg manifold - even if it is a rather late model. Thus I don't think you will find that the dog leg intake was obsoleted in 1911 but more likely was obsoleted after they stopped making 1911 torpedo's altogether. The last statement is my opinion as to when it was discontinued - not a researched fact.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration