Amesbilt Special Bodies For Fords Ad

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Amesbilt Special Bodies For Fords Ad
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 09:27 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 01:00 pm:

I have only seen one of these in a touring car that was waiting to be restored. Quite an unusual interior. Front seat is split with no back doors. Access to the back seat is by passing in between the split front seat. The two front seats set at an angle that pretty much matches the front cowl. The pedals are as normal on the T frame, but with the seat at an angle, looks to me to be a son of a gun to drive. The front dash is more narrow than the standard dash would have been.
This particular car was a 17 (I think) and the fenders and running boards were much the same as the 26/27 Ford fenders, almost as if Ford had copied the design. Nicely contoured and flowing.
I have been to Owensboro and have located the address of the building of the plant. It was an insurance building.
It would be nice to have more info on Ames, if some one would like to share it. I have Googled it and found this same brochure and other information.
Neat car though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 04:11 pm:

Thank you for showing this! After-market full bodies are something not seen often enough. They are not researched enough either. I have seen a couple Ames touring cars in photos and such. There was one on ebad off and on for about a year a few years ago. I think it eventually did sell but have no idea where it went. Unlike the one Tom M tells about (I would love to see that one), it was a standard type touring car like the one in the ad that Jay posted.
The unusual style like Tom M tells about fits in with several unusual styles that were popular for a very few years in the late teens. That was the time of "cloverleaf" roadsters, center-door sedans, and opera coupes where front seat passengers sat facing to the rear (I rode in a friend's 1919 Pierce Arrow that was like that).
Great stuff! Thank you.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A smith on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 05:54 pm:

I picked this original dealer fold out on ebay

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A smith on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 05:55 pm:

Here it is opened on one side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Olsen on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 06:58 pm:

I have seen a very nice Ames touring in Michigan. Superbly restored. Of note the gas tank is in the rear and the side "curtains" are snap in solid panels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 07:50 am:

Now that you mention it, the one I saw had the gas tank on the rear and on the outside. The one I saw had some type of bumper on front and back I had not seen before. Sure wish I had taken pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A smith on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 08:54 am:

Did it look like this one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A smith on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 08:58 am:

Here's a fold out of a few other models

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 11:11 am:

James
Yes it did other than it was all black. It had the dish wheels as well. This brown one appears to have rear doors but I don't remember any rear doors on the one I saw.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration