Old Photo - Shiny New Couplet

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Shiny New Couplet
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 11:20 pm:

Is this a jewel or what?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 12:36 am:

Interesting photo. I noticed a couple of things different from a 1915 Ford. Starting with the sidelights, they appear to me to be Gray and Davis black and nickel lamps. The front nickel door is much larger than the regular Ford style lamp. It appears to me that the overall height of the side lamp is taller than the standard Ford light.

Next the gas headlamps. First they are much larger in diameter than a normal Ford lamp. The bonnet is the style and shape of a Gray and Davis lamp. Notice the inner reflector inside the front door, a typical Gray and Davis feature. Also note the bar running from lamp to lamp. These lamps are much larger than standard Ford issue. Also under the passenger lamp is some sort of bright plated extension, wonder what it is? Note the headlamp forks are a side mount style instead of a single post mount as Ford used.

Just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 01:47 am:

Sorta reminds me of my coupe when I first got it running. Except for the year, paint and doors! :-)

My dad in the passenger seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ake Osterdahl on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 03:41 am:

Jay ... that's it!
Thank you found this picture, very interesting.
Start crank similar to 1914, an early Coupelet.

Ake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 06:26 am:

Perhaps they added the different lights as an option. It looks like the splash shields have the crease in them as per the discussion on a previous thread. Wood handle on the crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 08:53 am:

Similar to Henry Ford's personal '15 Couplet. The guy in the picture above resembles James Cousins in the passenger seat.

Video of the car:
http://www.biography.com/people/henry-ford-9298747/videos/henry-ford-a-car-for-the-people-2087064480

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 09:58 am:

Those cowl lamps in the first pic probably are E&J #6's, which were used on some of the early Coupelets. I don't have a clue about the head lamps.

Note that "Henry's" Coupelet has front-hinged doors and fenders which are curved down at the front.

Edsel also had a '15 Coupelet, but I'm unable to find any pics of it just now to compare them. Edsel's car had a blue body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 10:10 am:

I just came across this in a posting by Hap from 2007:

"By the way -- a note posted by Trent back in Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 09:06 pm: shared: I have found documentation at the Henry Ford that the 1915 coupelet bodies were supplied by Fisher and that the first two delivered went to Henry and Edsel Ford."

Interesting.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 11:14 am:

This is senator James Couzins (correct spelling) in 1929. He still likes the same body style in his Fords!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 11:20 am:

Edsel's T is in Rockford, Il
a friend of mine owns it
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 11:53 am:

That is a pip of a photo.
I believe the Headlights are C M Hall's. We discussed them on a Centerdor here: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/357431.html?1366842644

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 03:34 pm:

Robert,
Do you think that your friend could send us some photos of Edsel's Coupelet? I know we would love to see it,

-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 06:32 pm:

Royce

In your post above you observe that James Couzins' Model A is the same style as his Model T. By that I suspect that you are suggesting that his Model A is a Cabriolet. Such is not the case.

The Model A depicted in the photo you posted is in fact a Sport Coupe and the top is stationary.

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 06:50 pm:

Passenger is thinking: 'Boy does that stink; I hope he doesn't notice! Good thing the top is down!
Driver: 'What is that terrible smell? Doesn't he have any control? Just because the top is down....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 07:11 pm:

Tim,

In fact I knew that. Thanks. I was observing that James Couzins remained a Ford Coupe customer even after the Model T age. I in no way suggested that his '29 was a cabriolet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 09:20 pm:

Wasn't this photo posted a few months ago?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 09:49 pm:

Larry -- If you're asking about the first photo in this thread, I sent it to you a while back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 11:15 pm:

Pretty car, rad. looks silverplated along with headlights.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration