A Question for you Fronty Guys

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: A Question for you Fronty Guys
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 01:01 am:

I am getting close to getting a Fronty engine together. I am trying to select a carburetor for the engine. I have a Stromberg OC-2 side draft. Has anyone put one of these on a Fronty before? What carburetors are you using? All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 01:14 am:

I found Stromberg size 2 to be plenty big; 5 notches down on the throttle was about 50 mph. Size 1 was ok, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 03:00 am:

Stromberg MB-2 works nice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 04:25 am:

a edelbrock 4bbl oughta have enough CFMs to to push that motor.... ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 04:25 am:

can we see some pics of your speedster?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 09:48 am:

Thanks for the replies.

Ralph,
I thought I remembered that you had a Stromberg.

Tim,
Thanks.

Nathan,
It is a '15 Roadster Pickup.

Uncle Stan,
Any thoughts on an OC-2?

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 10:44 am:

Bob,

I use a Zenith HP5A and am very happy with it. The only downside is that the jets are fixed. A challenge if the ones you have are too rich or lean for your application. One of the jets is easy to fill and drill, the other is at the end of a long slender tube and not so easy.

I'm getting right about 20 MPG, clean plugs, and good power.

I know where one was sitting on a shelf last spring, it may still be there if you are interested.

Walt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 05:50 pm:

I run a OC 2 on my Fronty R head and have for years. Has provide a lot of miles of service and would choose another one for the next Fronty build up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 06:48 pm:

Thanks Mike. I sent you a PM.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 03:02 pm:

Zenith O-4 works well.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 04:25 pm:

Bob, that OC-2 should be the perfect carb for what you are building. Anything bigger could get hard to get to idle, smaller -- like an OS-1 -- would work, too. They will flow a lot of air, which is what you are looking for it to do, and still have air flow enough at low and idle speeds to be OK.

Walt, it is pretty easy to make an adjustable main jet for an HP5A. I've done several of them for 5A and 4S Zeniths. Both are great carbs. The HP5A was used on a lot of original go-fast engines in the day and is still popular. I did a matched set a couple years ago for a guy in Florida. IIRC they were for a 4 cylinder Hudson speedster. I think two of them would be too big for a T engine no matter what it had for a head but maybe not. Be fun to find out.

MB 1 & 2 Strombergs are also great side draft speedster carbs. I recently sold a set of 4 matching MB-1's to a guy for a project. I'm anxious to hear it run.

Keith, that 04 is most likely off a 4 cylinder Chevy from the teens and early 20's. The venturi is barely bigger than an NH Holley. It probably runs fine, a Zenith S4BF would be zoomier as would most anything with a little larger bore. I did a matched set of S04's for a speedster project in England last fall. Zenith must have been using whatever bronze was in the scrap yard that day when they were pouring them, I had a hard time finding two with the same hue of "brass." Finally found two bodies and built them up from parts.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration