OT - A Mile Long Mystery Car - Help us Solve this Puzzle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - A Mile Long Mystery Car - Help us Solve this Puzzle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 07:43 am:

A Mile Long Mystery Car: This photo belonged to Art Carroll, who worked for the Fokker Aircraft Company during World War I and later. A couple of things to note about this monster is that it is RHD unless the negative has been reversed, and the wheel size and construction are mismatched. It is wearing attractive coachwork, which is likely to be custom, and it has an odd t-shaped front hubcap or knock-off. Help us solve the mystery @ http://theoldmotor.com/?p=114897

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 10:03 am:

Has to be an aftermarket type. No doubt a car he could have made if he was in the trade of aircraft. The wheels don't match and the radiator is one of the V designs. The step into the rumble seat looks like an after thought. But regardless, I would love to have it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 10:22 am:

I think the odd t-shaped front hubcap or knock-off is really a scratch or defect in the negative or print.

Interesting, two spares, one for the front and one for the rear. Looks like if the door is hinged, it is pretty much useless with the steering wheel in the way. Maybe the step is to get in the front and back.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 11:20 am:

We're speculating here, so my unsubstantiated opinion:

It looks to me like a truck chassis and drive train lowered with a speedster body installed, sort of like what has been done to some of the early American LaFrance fire trucks. The big difference is that whoever made that body did a spectacular job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 12:28 pm:

Henry, I think your right. When I saw the picture I said; fire engine. It could be a truck, hence the heavier rear wheel and tire looks wider.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 01:00 pm:

Yea,I would say there is alot of heavy truck parts in that car.I would love to have it! :>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 01:27 pm:

"I think the odd t-shaped front hubcap or knock-off is really a scratch or defect in the negative or print".

Jim yes in fact you are correct it is only a mark on the photo, OWHATACAR

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 02:51 pm:

Henry's post reminded me of an American-LaFrance speedster I saw at a car show once, so I googled "American LaFrance speedster." Lots of images. None were of this particular car, but enough similarities that I am inclined to agree that that is probably what this is.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration