Fordson

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Fordson
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 11:08 am:

Have read my Jan-Feb issue cover to cover, the quality of the magazine always amazes me, we must have a very good print shop doing our work, and the content is always good also, and I was so glad to see a story about the Fordsons.

Subject at hand, Daddy's Daddy, my Grandpa, helped raise me on a hard scrabble farm during the Great Depression and Dust Bowl days. We farmed with a team of mules like everyone else, and I don't know what possessed him to buy a tractor, but he obviously did, and he didn't have two nickels to rub together, and he had given me three !

Anyway, it was pretty ragged, and was probably given to him, or left to rot somewhere, and he drug it home. It was strictly bare bones, and old, old, and this was in the 1930's. From looking at the pictures, it would have had to have been one of those made in the teens, maybe even one of the MOMS ? What I do know about it was that it was prone to kicking, hard to start, and spent more time behind the team being pulled out of the field than working.

The casting was full of cracks, probably why it was available to begin with, my Grand Daddy only had one of the old heavy soldering irons that you heated in a fire, but he was and had been a good Country Blacksmith, and was as good as his tools allowed. He would build a good oak fire so he would have a good bed of coals, build a dam of clay of sorts below the bigger cracks, load coals on it till he figured it was hot enough, heat up the iron, and try to flow brass into the cracks, worked once in a while, but it always popped out again.

For some reason, I remember the oil filler cap as being a big brass thing, it had a "bail" of sorts to hold it on, I did not see one of those in the pictures. I can't remember if it had a magneto or ran on the T system.

It was a good idea at the time, and would have been nice, but I would just as soon be kicked by one of the mules as kicked by that infernal machine. It went the way of all things in one of the Scrap Drives of WW2, just as well I suppose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 08:11 pm:

"Just as Well" . . Heck no Grady. Now theres fewer of those wonderful Model F Fordsons than Model Ts. When it warms up some and you get close to Gruene, TX; call first but stop by and drive my '19 "Ladder Side" Fordson. They didn't have an electric starter but used a magneto exactly like the Model T (except the field coil had 3 mounting bolts instead of 4)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 10:26 pm:

After several threads about the latest VF magazine, something I haven't yet seen recognized here is Fred Houston's fabulous generosity. He restored this early Fordson tractor and the rare prototype plow that is with it, and donated them to OUR MTFCA Museum. This is the same guy who purchased, restored, and donated the Pietenpol Model T-powered airplane, serial number ONE (!), to the museum a few months ago.

Fred is a past President of the MTFCA, and a recipient of the prestigious Rosenthal Award. Lots of folks talk the talk, but Fred walks the walk. When you step through the door of Fred's "Model T Garage," he stops whatever he is doing and will spend as much time as you want to spend there, visiting, sharing information and advice, and even parts if you need some. All of us Model T'ers, especially MTFCA members, owe Fred a debt of gratitude for his donations to OUR museum and his exemplary generosity in general. He is a splendid ambassador for our hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, February 15, 2014 - 10:27 pm:

Amen to that Mike,and he's a nice guy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 11:44 am:

I agree 100%, I've had the pleasure of knowing Fred and Laveta for many yrs, and I've been to that Model T Garage one time NEAT and very helpfull in information gained

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 03:46 pm:

Don't forget the video contributions too.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration