What is this early Ford on eBay?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: What is this early Ford on eBay?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 09:56 am:

Can anyone figure out what this is and how to post a picture?

Howard Dennis

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371007220261?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m142 3.l2649

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 10:20 am:

I was able to copy one of the images and flip it to a positive, here it is:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 10:25 am:

Here is the larger image flipped to a positive:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 10:30 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 10:31 am:

1905 - 1906 Model F

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 10:37 am:

My guess is Model C or F, probably F. It looks like a Model K beside it:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 10:43 am:

There is a lot of detail in this picture. Second car looks like a Ford also?

Howard Dennisford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 10:52 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 11:10 am:

Most likely a Model C as the Model F had both the radiator tank and the gas tank under the hood.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 11:12 am:

Wow Ken, you knocked it out of the park! I now see there is a third car on the right with picnic baskets on the side.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 11:28 am:

Now we know what they are, more importantly, where the heck are they today????? I'll take any one of the 3 !!!!!!

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 12:27 pm:

A little larger better quality:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 01:32 pm:

3rd car could be the body for the front car, up on saw horses maybe. It's the right kind of body for this chassis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 01:47 pm:

I think the car next to it may be a model r.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 01:50 pm:

the body has a rear entrance door.is that right for the c mod.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 01:55 pm:

buy the way that's the way ford does it on the trucks ,just jerk the body off!!!!!!!.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 02:02 pm:

Yes, much clearer. And the car beside is an R (or S). Thanks for enhancing it. As much smaller than the NRS makes me think it's a C with running boards.

Model C initially came with a rear entrance tonneau and later went to a side entrance body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 02:15 pm:

The C chassis shown above has buggy steps, instead of running boards. It also has a shorter radiator, (not extending below the frame rails).

The photo shows running boards, like an F and the longer radiator, like an F. But, the single tank under the hood, like a C.

????

Hap, where are you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 03:42 pm:

Jerry, I ran out to my workshop and took a look at my Model F's radiator (you've seen it) and it's the 10 row, 3 deep version with 180 degree elbows running down the sides. The photo's radiator appears two deep, per Model C. Soooo, I don't know what we're looking at.

Rich C.

P.S. With the clearer picture, it looks to me that the NRS has the cylindrical shaped oiler, as supplied on the Model N.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 04:00 pm:

Also note the steep angle of the steering column as opposed to the shallower angle of the car beside it. Would this not also indicate a C rather than an F?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 04:25 pm:

The Model C in the AACA museum has running boards rather than buggy steps. Is this an original body?

http://www.aacamuseum.org/exhibits/permanent/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 09:34 pm:

The reversed and enlarged pictures make it easier to identify. Looks like a very late Model C, perhaps 1904 - 05.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 09:53 pm:

The picture Jeff V refers to:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 10:50 pm:

The early C's and B's had step plates and no running boards. The F's had running boards. There was a lot of overlap on the examples I have seen. There is a surviving F with a C radiator. As F,s are of interest to me, I have not seen two identical, and I would expect most these alphabet cars would be similar. I don't think they threw much, or anything away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 11:48 am:

I like that Ford logo. It's a bit different than the usual ones we see. Also, looks like "F" & "ord" are separated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 09:13 pm:

First the easy one. Where’s Hap? After camping out in the house for two days with out electricity due to the snow and ice storm, I have been cutting up and hauling off limbs that came down. I’m done with the front yard but the back yard still has about 2 to 4 pickup truck loads to haul off.

Now the harder part. First this assume no major modifications were made and we don’t know that for sure. The chassis in front with the body removed is a later 1905 USA Model C Ford or Canadian Model C Ford. Note the Canadian C may have had the running boards before the USA. Ford of Canada had the side entrance rear area before the USA did, but initially used two step plates on each side. Ref page 28 of 63 Chapter 4 ; “Pate’s Early Ford Automobile Encyclopedia.” And a few other pages.

Additional details:

The chassis is NOT a Model F Ford: Why?

1. The Model F Ford had the steering column mounted to the firewall rather than to the floor board as the A, AC, and C had the steering column mounted. F radiator initially was 10 rows x 3 rows deep then it was made longer/taller. (ref: page 67 of 91 Chapter 6 Accessories and Parts; “Pate’s Early Ford Automobile Encyclopedia.) Below is a photo of a 1905 Model F from page 29 of the Nov-Dec 1970 “Vintage Ford” used by permission.

2. NOT an F: The F had a truss bar under the front axle and the drag link was in “FRONT” of the axle. It had rear brake drums on each rear wheel. Below is a photo of a 1905 Model F from page 29 of the Nov-Dec 1970 “Vintage Ford” used by permission.

3. The chassis is NOT an A or AC: Why?

Neither the A or AC had the water tank under the false hood. Neither the A or AC used a 10 row by 2 row deep radiator as shown in the photo.

4. I believe the chassis is a Model C Ford. Lots of things line up with the Model C Ford. The water tank area, mounting brackets, frame extensions (for the water tank and false hood) and radiator look identical to the Model C photos on pages 2 of 36 chapter 8 of “Pate’s Early Ford Automobile Encyclopedia” that show a Model C. I do not have permission to repost the photos from Carl’s book [I haven’t gotten around to asking him for that permission yet.]

5. The later Model C had running boards (although with a side entrance rather than a rear entrance body) ref page 72 of 91 chapter 6 “Pate’s Early Ford Automobile Encyclopedia.) Note the body to the far right appears to have a rear entrance tonneau. If that body is from the chassis on the far left, it would indicate to me that the Model C owner had the running boards installed or perhaps the dealer installed them or even the factory – but we do not have a record of the factory installing running boards on a rear entrance tonneau Model C. If anyone else has evidence of that, please let us know. Installing the running boards would have been a very easy modification. The factory brackets and running boards were available from the Ford dealer. Drill a few holes and mount them. Probably could have modified the existing fenders.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration