Slow speed pedal shaft

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Slow speed pedal shaft
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 01:08 pm:

On a 1922 transmission, I have added a set of bands that have removable ears. I still have the '22 pedal shaft which is so long it will not allow the removable ear to come off. I see that I could get a new shorter shaft, but could I just cut my long shaft to size? How much of the shaft would need to be cut off?
Thanks
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 01:15 pm:

Mike, i had the same situation on my 24 so i installed a shaft for a 26 and changed the adjuster also.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 01:26 pm:

Millions of the long shafts were cut off. (I suspect), Yes you can you need 3/4 inch of shaft remaining to hold the band. You will need to change the adjuster also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 01:27 pm:

Here are pictures from Lang's website of the two different low speed shafts (the pictures are not the same scale). First, the long shaft for cars with the older, non-demountable bands, along with its corresponding short adjusting screw:

long_shaft

short_screw

Next, the short shaft for cars with the newer, demountable bands, along with its corresponding longer adjusting screw:

short_shaft

long_screw

The Ford service manual (paragraph 543) says that the older, long shaft can be sawed off "about 7/8 inch from the shoulder" to allow it to work with demountable bands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 01:29 pm:

oooohhhhh, I just looked in Lang's catalog and I think I see what is happening here. The 1922 adjusting screw has a hole in it and allows the shaft to enter it. A 26/27 adjusting screw has a pin on it and fits into the band ear. So it looks like the best solution here is to replace the shaft and the adjusting screw as Rick mentioned.
Thanks
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 02:33 pm:

Cut the shaft to 3/4" as Jack said, take the piece cut off and slip it into the adjusting screw and braze in place. Don't need to buy anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 09:09 pm:

Mikey -- You've been spending too much time around Steve Jelf. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 09:33 pm:

I like how Steve thinks but this is what I have done for years on my own. See you in a couple of weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 01:24 pm:

Recently i installed a new shaft and cut it shorter and i do not even have removable band ears anymore.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration