Racing decals/stickers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Racing decals/stickers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 11:13 pm:

I would like to find some early 1920s race car equipment decals or stickers. I have a 'Roar With Gilmore' but would like others.
Thanx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 12:09 pm:

I find more than you could possibly use at the swap meets.

racer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 12:09 pm:

I find more than you could possibly use at the swap meets.

racer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 12:11 pm:

The above car was on my Montana 500 car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 12:32 pm:

If you can find pictures, water-slide decals can be printed out on an inkjet printer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 01:13 pm:

Bob: What kind of decals would have been available then. I can think of Champion Plugs, AC Plugs, but I can not think of anymore. Did they use any decal style advertising then. I can remember seeing pictures of some stuff on speedsters from the day, but it useally was basic "sign painter" numbers and names. I have found lots of decals on e-bay but most of them are late 40s to 60s vintage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 02:07 pm:

The reproduction gas pump decals look just about right for a speedster.

http://www.automobiliausa.com/decals1.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 02:10 pm:

https://www.vics66.com/store/gas-pumps/water-transfer-oil-lubster-decals/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 08:01 pm:

Having personally looked at several hundred copies of original era photos of speedster and race cars from the 1920s, I think I can safely say that such adornment was at least rare. Water-slide decals I think were available. My basis for this is that the 1927 Paige I have has Weed shock absorbers that had decals (judging from the way they flaked off). There wasn't enough left from the four of them to duplicate it, but I found original shocks and original photos of otherwise identical shocks showing a simpler labeling that I was able to nearly duplicate using artist supply transfers.

Most advertising and adornment on race cars of the '10s and '20s was either silk-screen painted/printed or hand painted directly onto the car. Some of that hand painted lettering was done very professionally by sign painters. A surprising amount of it was not, and very clearly so.
I do like to see era-correct signage on speedsters and racers today. (Personally, I prefer to not see too much post WWII stuff on them, but that is me.)

Gotta get back to work.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 08:09 pm:

Take a quick look at the Walter Christie car on this thread. There are both no signage and signage photos here. The "Firestone" signage was probably hand painted. Barney was much the showman and entrepreneur. Most of his cars had signage on them while he had them. ("Got to make a buck somehow!")

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/424893.html?1392650647

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 11:54 pm:

Thanks to y'all, and I think that the professionally hand-painted
equipment logos may be the way to go. There won't be many, so it shouldn't be too horribly expensive.
I did pilfer one from the internet, scanned it and printed it on glossy label paper, then sprayed it with clear paint...Looks okay now, we'll see how it holds-up.
Thanx again,
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 10:40 am:

I saw a picture of one of Barney Oldfield's racers that said "My Only Life Insurance Firestone Tires" and thought that would be a good slogan to put on a speedster. Smaller print than Barney used, but it would still be amusing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 03:27 pm:

Jared B, Why not? I think it would look good and be a great conversation starter. I believe I have seen the slogan on a few of Barney's cars. Firestone was a sponsor for awhile.
You could lead conversation into how poor tires were in the early days and Firestone was one of the leaders in making tires stronger and longer-lasting. (Maybe you could get a sponsorship?)
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 04:31 pm:

I follow Joshua Shaw on Instagram. He does a lot of vintage racing restoration, he hand paints letters and logos, and does decals. Maybe look him up. Here is a post on his Facebook page that may interest you. https://www.facebook.com/Joshuashawvintageracing/posts/527206357366987

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration