Walter Christie’s Incredible FWD Racing Car with a Huge 1237 CI V-Four

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Walter Christie’s Incredible FWD Racing Car with a Huge 1237 CI V-Four
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 07:29 am:

Walter Christie’s 1909 100 Horsepower Racing Car: We cover the interesting construction details of the last Christie built with the complete article from the
Automobile magazine. Learn all about the FWD car and its SOHC V-four with a 7.5-inch bore x 7-inch stroke, which yielded a whopping 1237 CI. It featured
30.5-inch long connecting rods! See all the details @ http://theoldmotor.com/?p=114991

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 07:30 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 08:00 am:

By racing standards this is a very heavy car. I have had dirt track 37 Fords that weighed less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 08:19 am:

Front wheel drive... That is very interesting. Still, that most have made for a very unique driving experience!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 08:22 am:

With all that weight on the front it must of made the back end very loose

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 08:22 am:

Here's a Hemmings article on Christie's FWD racers: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2014/01/16/cars-of-futures-past-christie-fron t-wheel-drive-racers/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 08:23 am:

David,That car looks like the car Barney Oldfield was pictured in for a Firestone tire comercial? A early picture of this car without the sheatmetal was posted by Rob? Bud in Wheeler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 08:35 am:

Yes it is the same car except the radiator had been changed when Oldfield ran the car between 1912 and 1916

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 09:46 am:

That thing is cool,but looks complicated!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 10:15 am:

I bet Barney was deaf.

Walter Christie went on to design the T-34 tank the Russians built during WWII, after the US refused it in favor of the Sherman.

The T-34 was far better than the Panzer, which was in turn far better than the Sherman.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 10:24 am:

Here's Christie's other unusual invention that has the most survivor's:
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/trucks/1910-christie-fire-engine/#item=299958

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 08:10 pm:

I have been next to the black beast Alco when it was started, and my god the noise that thing can make! I could not imagine a 1200 cid four! These races must have been amazing the cars left behind still are 100 year later!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 07:26 am:

I believe the article I read about the 1935 Monaco-Trossi Radial Engine Racer said that its weight distribution meant it "understeered magnficently" which I suspect would be a good way to describe this 4 cylinder beast: magnficent understeer. 7.5" pistons! I laugh about a 428 having coffee-can-sized pistons, but this thing really does! And it has the jumbo sized ones!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 07:56 am:

Walter Christie’s 1906 Vanderbilt Cup Racer earlier can be seen here. If you are interested in the details, Christie expert Lee Stohr tells all about this car and more @ http://theoldmotor.com/?p=33330

This machine above really understeered, the 1909 model the Barney ran handled much better but was hard on the tires that were available at the time. Christie even equipped it w/an extra right front wheel and tire for a while for oval track racing. Tires became much more reliable quickly and Oldfield was able to run it on only four tires when he used it between 1912-16

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 08:30 am:

The final drive Christie's machines sure resembles the Sherman tank final drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 08:42 am:

Walt Christie is better known to military historians as the inventor of the "Christie Suspension." This suspension was used on some U.S. military vehicles but was more widely accepted by European tank builders. The most famous tank using his suspension design is probably the Russian T-34.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration