OT New 78's

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT New 78's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 11:28 am:

A lot of us being aficionados of both old music and old technology, this should be of interest. These folks are cutting new 78rpm acetates on a Presto recorder like the one used by the Lomaxes.

http://fiscal.ifp.org/project.cfm/611/The-78-Project/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 11:45 am:

Oh that is really cool! But will they play on a Victrola? Most of the later records are too soft for the Victrola's heavy reproducer and steel needles. Yes it will play them, but it will wear them out quickly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 11:50 am:

I collect 78 rpm records. My problem is they accumulate faster than I can listen to them.

I occasionally find home acetate recordings as well as recording blanks at estate sales.

When I was a teenager, I had a home-use acetate cutting machine but my mom threw it out when I was away at college.

Commercially produced 78 rpm records are still being produced and sold. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iboYk7RFsKM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz2SabvaOjQ

Some of the automobile related 78 rpm selections in my collection:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 11:54 am:

Good question. I see they're selling the recordings on vinyl, not shellac. I suspect you'd best play them with a light tone arm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 12:00 pm:

What do those three acts have in common? The Happiness Boys, Phil Baker, and the Cliquot Club Eskimos were big stars of early radio.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 12:00 pm:

I don't own any of the modern 78 rpm records but they are probably micro-groove, like a 33 1/3 rpm record.

I play most of my 78 records on modern equipment - a Dual 1019 turntable with a magnetic cartridge and a 3 mil stylus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 03:48 pm:

I have a brand new -- in the original box -- 78 cutting machine from the ??? 40's, 50's?? Came out of a radio station we sold out years ago. Have another one just like it but not NOS. I haven't looked at them for years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Stitt-Southern Oregon on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 04:09 pm:

Just so you know most Victrola's (as a generic term) have 22% ++ error in the tone arm.
If S shaped considerably less.
If tempted I would use a bamboo or cactus needle.
I did collect both records and phonographs. Records from 1898-1935. Buff BlueBirds a favorite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 04:29 pm:

Erik J, Those are a couple of really NICE records! It used to be difficult to find auto-related 78s. I did have a few though (including "Uncle Josh Buys an Auto"). Maybe like with Jimmie Rodgers, they can be found now on ebad?
I love Jimmie Rodgers, and in over 30 years of collecting and over 2000 78s, I didn't have any original Jimmie Rodgers records. Then about five years ago, I got about a half dozen of them through ebad. Now one of them sits on my Victrola turntable most of the time.

The 78 project does sound interesting. Even though I have quite a few modern "remastered" 78 era recordings on CDs, I much prefer the sound of a real 78 rpm record. It sounds more "real" to me.
Thank you all for sharing this!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 07:57 pm:

Steve Jelf:

Recently acquired a Edison diamond disc phonograph that was mounted in a home-made frame... shows off all the working innards.... plus plays great.

Edison discs are only played on a Edison phonograph, sound grooves recorded vertically. Adapter neeeded to play lateral cut shellacs. Double spring motor and adjustable platter speed control.

Plan to use at car meets along side the '26 Runabout.... attention getter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 08:39 pm:

Edison disks are 80 rpm, aren't they? Somewhere I have a few radio transcriptions (16 inch disks) that are vertical cut. I'd have to get a new stylus to play them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eddy Lee Emerson on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 08:50 pm:

Yesterday the Oklahoma Special T's met in Blackwell for our annual valentines party. After the party we took our wives shopping at the Ashby's Antique Mall. While there I purchased three Columbia Grand Cylinder Records. These long play cylinders are 5 inches in diameter and 4 inches long. They are made of wax. and a paper with the title and name of artist is included. I do not have a machine to play these records and would love to hear from anybody that does. I do have two of the Columbia machines that play the three minute 6 inch Columbia cylinders and I am in the market for some of them. I have been collecting since 1957 and my collection is also out of control. I have weeded my phonograph collection down to 28. Three diamond disc and the rest half cylinder and half 78's. I am very concerned about what will become of my records when I am gone. Ed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 09:20 pm:

I have the Edison diamond disk player that one of my great uncles bought after he got home from WWI. Mt Angel,Or where they grew up was a German community so some of the records are in German. It weights a ton, even on casters it's hard to roll across the floor. It uses a diamond for a needle. I also have the reproducer for playing non Diamond disks. The reproducer for the Diamond disk rides horizontal where the needle type is vertical.
Once or twice a year I crank her up and listen to a few records which includes the Little Ford Rambled Right Along.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 09:26 am:

Yes, Edison discs should run at 80 rpm..... or so for proper pitch. Early discs can range in the 80- 84 rpm range, while the later ones play good at 78.5 to 80 rpms. Reason ?? My guess the early ones were recorded using spring motors, later ones used Edison's electric Econowatt DC motors , both used speed controls.

Mark stated: "The reproducer for the Diamond disk rides horizontal where the needle type is vertical." I'm I correct in understanding that this refers to the accessory reproducer that is designed to play both vertical and lateral cut disc records. The Edison disc reproducer only plays vertical cut Edison records. The position of the accessory reproducer in the horizontal position plays vertical cut, while in the vertical position plays lateral cut records. Confusing ? not really after you see one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 11:35 am:

I was talking about the reproducer not the record. The Edison sorta floats over the record horizontal/parallel to the record. Only the weight of the reproducer rides on the records not any of the tone arm.
The other reproducer used to play records made by say RCA, Brunswick etc the swiveling end of the the tone arm and the reproducer ride on the record in a vertical position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 01:09 pm:

Eddy Lee Emerson:

We are, like the same with our Model T's, only the present curator of our phonographs and records.... someone in the future will have an interest just like we had early on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 03:51 pm:

Pathe' made records and phonographs with another non-compatible variation. The groove was curved on the bottom. A sapphire tipped needle rode on the bottom of the groove with the sound recorded on one side. The needle was angled about 45 degrees to the side.
I did have some Pathe' records years ago, however I never had a phonograph to play them on.
Also, I had been told that some Pathe' records ran counter-clock-wise. None of the records I ever checked did. I did see a two turntable Pathe' phonograph once. I was told it was one turntable for each direction.
I don't know if the CCW thing is true or not. I have not yet seen one run CCW.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eddy Lee Emerson on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 06:20 pm:

Steve Jelf's comment about having 16" radio transcriptions, made me remember some 16" records that I have never been able to play because I don't have a large enough turntable. These are RCA records made for the Ford Motor Company, and possibly provide a good insight into Ford's sales methods in the mid-30's. Each record has a Part2 continued on the flip side. Titles are: "The New Ford V-8 for 1935.", "Enter The Duchess", "The New Ford V-8 For 1936", "Proved By The Past -Improved For The Future", "Lady's Name On The Dotted Line", "The Car Without A Price Class", "Good Demonstrations Make Good Sales", "Selling Your Service", "Looking Forward Through The Past", "The Factograph- A Guide To More Certain Knowledge Of The Ford V-8". Does anyone have the capability to play these records? Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 11:28 pm:

Yes, I do. If you're up this way when the weather warms up (late April, May, etc.) bring one along and we'll try it out. From the description I'd guess that they're filmstrip soundtracks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 04:13 pm:

Wayne, I do not know if some pathe' records run counterclockwise, but some play from the center out. Pathe' records are recorded a several different speeds also. Some run as fast as 120 RPM.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 04:28 pm:

Wayne,

Pathe records don't turn counter-clockwise.

They differ in that the grooves do not move the needle side-to-side, as with most other records, (known as lateral cut records). Instead, they move the needle up-and-down. They utilize what's known as a "hill & dale" cut. The playback needle & reproducer are then oriented such as to track the up & down, (versus lateral), movement of the groove.

Almost all Edison recordings, (disc & cylinder), used hill & dale grooves as well.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration