Old Photo, towncar with camels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo, towncar with camels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 01:47 pm:

We have probably seen this before but I just found it again and decided to share it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 05:23 pm:

Erich, I said, "NO camels." That's TWO camels! Can't you count?

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 06:14 pm:

At least the Ford wouldn't have any fleas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 06:22 pm:

How bout one with no brass and no camels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 06:22 pm:

Interesting that everyone is wearing overcoats in the middle of the Egyptian desert. Neat photo- thanks Eric.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 06:28 pm:

The driver looks half asleep.

So does the car...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 07:11 pm:

It looks like the they're selling "hot" wrist watches and using the baby for cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 08:58 pm:

When I was at the pyramids in the late 80's, on the desert side, away from the gaze from the town side of the Giza Plato, there were people living in burned out car bodies cooking over camel crap fires and selling camel rides to tourists. I wonder what they were living in before there were cars?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 09:24 pm:

The '12 town car picture is more detailed than I have seen before. It clearly shows black and brass lamps and a single twistblack and brass horn. Very nice!

The '17 town car picture is also new to me and a real gem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 10:50 pm:

The '17 towncar has a LF fender that looks
damaged from a wheel coming off.
Don't ask me how I know that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 07:05 am:

Royce, why do you say a 1912 town car? It has no bill front guards, black & brass lights, steel carbide generator; all 1913 style to me. Are the town cars different, and if so how? I for one would love to know a bit more about these rare gems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 07:40 am:

David,

The front fenders are typical of late 1912, as is the body.

For comparison here is the 1913 catalogue picture of a 1913 town car:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 02:33 pm:

Bob G, I am still biting my tongue!
Thanks all for photos, comments, and Royce for clarification.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 03:53 pm:

Thanks Royce, I knew I was missing something. Thank you for the information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 01:35 am:

Are the 12 and 13 Town cars not exactly the same ?
David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 02:09 am:

1912 photo has a stepped body. The 1913 supplied by Royce shows a flat sided body to my untrained eye.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 02:09 am:

The Windshield's are different
-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 07:23 am:

The 1912 and earlier town car bodies are all wood, including the outer body skin.

The 1913 and later town car bodies have stamped steel skin panels nailed to wooden structure, similar to the rest of 1913 and later bodies.

Here is Jim Finney's 1914 with a similar body. Note that most of the bare wood was originally painted, and the car would have had black and brass lamps originally.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration