Mystery holes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Mystery holes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 07:30 pm:

I am putting a new top on my 21 Roadster and found these holes in the center upright top bow. Anyone know what they are for? Snaps? The same hole appears on the bow on both sides and seem to be factory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 07:44 pm:

Probably for attaching side curtains?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 07:54 pm:

By what method?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 07:59 pm:

They used a variety of fasteners,common sense was one type.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 08:16 pm:

Disclaimer: The following pictures are of my 1923 Touring / pickup conversion, onto which I installed a later "one-man" roadster top and side curtains.

The rear side curtains and the rear curtain of my top are attached to the rear bow by three "lift the dot" fasteners, each peg screws into a single hole in the bow, similar to the hole you show in your picture:

peg01

However, most of the side curtain fasteners are of the "common sense" type, sometimes also called Murphy fasteners:

murphy1

Here is a view of the inside of the driver's side, showing how some of the "common sense" fasteners are arranged:

side01

I do not have any diagrams handy showing how the fasteners are arranged for the side curtains on an earlier "two-man" roadster top, perhaps one of the other members can come through with such a diagram?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 08:33 pm:

Here is a picture I found elsewhere on the forum of an early "two-man" roadster top with side curtains. Unfortunately, it doesn't show much if anything about how they are fastened.

top01

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 09:33 pm:

Well, the common sense fasteners use 2 screws so, those are out, the murphy fasteners have 2 bend over tabs and wouldn't work either. The lift a dot fasteners would work but, I don't think I would care much for the possibility of hitting my head on one. I can see a light indentation around one of the holes like a simple snap might have been used. It would be a toss up between the lift a dot and a snap.
BTW, this is on a Roadster that I converted into a truck. I really think you did a great job on your top and I have gotten some good hints from all the pictures, thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 09:51 pm:

To keep the wood from moving in the steel socket, and to fill the hole, I'd put an upholstery tack through it into the wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 10:38 pm:

Here is a common sense fastener attached to a bow:

When I was fitting the side curtains on my 1919 touring, I got at least half of then in the original holes!

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 09:05 am:

Some tops have another piece of top material sewn to the top, that is about 2-3" wide. I don't think there is any wood in your top socket, not bow, to accept a nail, so it appears to me from your pictures that there was a riveted on snap of some kind, or a snap with a screw in the end of it. I would research this very carefully before proceeding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 02:10 pm:

OK, I have investigated this further and found there are 2 holes in each bow. These holes are hidden by the bowdrill except the center bow and I believe I failed to bring the bowdrill down far enough to be correct which would have hidden the holes shown. Seems, these holes are for common sense fasteners for the side curtains. I will install these when I get a set of curtains. Thanks for the help, especially Keith post which led me to start looking for other holes and making measurements to find the answer.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration