Oil line output to timing gears

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Oil line output to timing gears
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Reif on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 08:00 pm:

Can anyone describe how much oil I should see coming from the internal oil line, while cranking the engine? I'm currently replacing my timing gear and I'm suspicious that I might have a restricted oil line because the timing gear area is very dry. With the timing cover off, I had my daughter stand on the starter switch for about 10 seconds but very little oil comes out of the oil line. Actually, no oil comes out until well after letting off the starter switch. I've never tried this experiment before so I don't know what's normal here.

I do know the oil line is not totally blocked. I blew it out and air does go through the oil line. I also ran bailing wire and a coax cable over 20 inches up the tube. My concern is that I might have a rivet, or something else, restricting the oil at the top. I'm very interested to hear if someone has seen how much oil normally comes from the oil line at startup. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 08:11 pm:

I don't think there would be much just cranking the motor over by hand, if any. The oil needs to be slung by the flywheel and hit the top of the hogs head before it run into the funnel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 09:01 pm:

Robert

When I had the cam cover off my engine, I was able to run a plastic line completely up the internal oil line without removing the cam gear.

As I remember the plastic line I used was string trimmer monofilament and I THINK it was .080 in.

It took some foolin' around to thread the line past the cam gear and into the oil line, but doable.

Once in the oil line you can estimate easily when you've pushed enough line in to completely clear the tube. As I remember I withdrew and pushed the line through about 6 times or so. rotating it a little each time.

Felt pretty confident at the time that the line was totally clear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 09:02 pm:

PS Gotta agree with Mark, your not gonna see much if any oil flow at handcranking speeds!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 09:05 pm:

And to add to what Mark and Bud said, at hand-cranking speed, I would assume a cold engine, and cold oil in the crankcase, and that doesn't help either!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 09:19 pm:

cut the tubing insert clear plastic from hardware
store then you see oil flow. thats what i did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Reif on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 07:49 am:

I appreciate the help! In summary, I shouldn't be overly concerned that I only have a few drops of oil coming out of the oil line after cranking the engine for 5 to 10 seconds. Since I was able to run a cable up the oil line, I'm confident that it's not totally blocked. I think I'll go ahead and install an outside oil line to protect the front rod...just in case. Thanks!!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration