Cleaning a 1926-27 gas tank.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Cleaning a 1926-27 gas tank.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 08:57 pm:

I didn't know if I should add this to the other thread about a 1926 gas tank or not.
This has been covered before here. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/317368.html?1350403307
Here is how I cleaned mine. I went to the local aggregate dealer and for One dollar bought a bucket of limestone sand. After washing and sifting out the fines and dirt I had about 10 lbs. of this.

This process did no noticeable harm to my wife's stainless steel colander.
I put the limestone in the tank and attached it to my barbeque spit and let it spin at 3 RPM for just under 3 hours until the little machine screws holding the board to the spit broke.

I then turned the tank 90 and spun it until the screws broke again in just under 3 hours.

The inside of the tank was not badly rusted but this method did a good job of cleaning it. And the limestone chips were easy to dump out of the tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 11:27 pm:

I can appreciate your method I did something similar but I used a cement mixer. I jammed the tank in to the mixer tied the lever horizontal and let it turn for 3 hours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard I Olson on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 02:53 pm:

thank you, i finally got the tank out.
have a great weekend

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steve miller- mississauga,ontario on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 03:15 pm:

Dale
The problem I see with the media you use is the fact the 26/27 tank has baffles. Anything you put in the tank HAS to be removed from the tank. No strays allowed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 04:23 pm:

I do something similar, but I use drywall/deck screws. I use the shortest ones as they are easier to get out with a flexible magnet tool. I count out 50 of the screws and make sure I get 50 back. I use aprox 5 gallons of hot water and one can of crystal draino for the mix. The sharp little points really pick it clean, but do not hit anything hard enough to hurt the tank.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration