Old Photo - Model T Brass Era Towncar

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Model T Brass Era Towncar
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 10:58 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 07:00 am:

English photo?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 07:43 am:

That pic really shows the limousine like qualities of the Town Car. I notice it also has the much discussed bulge in the rear splash shield. That reminds me and I don't mean to cause thread drift. I was at Mac Auto yesterday. They have a 1915 Touring on display. It has the bulge on the drivers side splash shield only.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 10:38 am:

Somewhere in Britain - I can't tell you where, don't you know there's a War on?!

RHD, I'm pretty sure. The lady (wasn't too sure till I checked the absence of trousers, and skirt hem below the coat) looks to have a PSV (public service vehicle) or Hackney Driver's badge on the right; they were a requirement until 1991. Notice the black armband on the lady in the background; by 1917 nearly every family in the land had lost someone. The sidelamps are maybe Lucas units. Barclays Bank is still probably the biggest in the country. Is the signature perhaps Olive ??

Jay, any chance of turning the photo so we see the licence plate? :^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 02:25 pm:

A WOMAN AND HER WHEELS: Olive Turney drove a variety of vehicles around the Ipswich area during the
First World War and said of her Model T taxi 'I think a Ford in any walk of life is incapable of real respectability,
though I have the greatest admiration for them in many ways - but they are rattle traps.'
The picture is from John Bridges' 1995 book Early Country Motoring...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 03:02 pm:

Thanks Art, amazing how much information members on this Forum have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 03:06 pm:

Wow! Art, You are amazing. You can find anything. How about helping me find a lost $50.00 bill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 04:43 pm:

Sorry Dennis Ė didnít find your fifty, but looks like Barclays is still there.

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 05:13 pm:

Art,Thanks for sharing your Detective Columbo moment with us, you rock my friend!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Norton on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 06:49 am:

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/features_2_483/ipswich_clara_harriet_sophie_all_women _of_substance_1_1972980
http://ipswichwomeninhistory.co.uk/1800s/olive-turney/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 01:59 pm:

That is the same Barclays building isn't it?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration