Old Photo - Model T Era Long Beach Chief Auto Inn

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Model T Era Long Beach Chief Auto Inn
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 09:41 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 10:14 am:

Long gone. There's no trace of it today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Mullis on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 06:46 pm:

According to Google Maps Street View, this is what it looks like today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 07:25 pm:

Don't you love those old 3d maps.
It has been so long that I had forgotten about them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 09:03 pm:

Jay, Steve, and Michael,

If I remember right, the Chief Motel was torn down about 10-15 years ago because it had been condemned by the city of Long Beach.

It had become a haven for certain women who work only in the evenings and people who deal in pharmaceuticals without requiring a prescription.

There was little, if any, argument from the community to save this historic structure. I know the local law enforcement were elated to see it go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 09:18 pm:

Checked a little further. Business license and conditional use permit was revoked by the city of Long Beach in 1998.

It closed permanently 10 days later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 09:28 pm:

A rest area on I-35 north of Oklahoma City was closed, purportedly for the same reason. Now there's a sign on it saying "weigh station closed", apparently so motorists whose teeth are floating won't be mad at being denied a rest area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 09:51 pm:

Old torn down buildings in Long Beach made me think of the Sea Side Hospital site in Long Beach which is now a park.
My mother did her nurses training there starting in 1928. After graduation she worked at the Riverside California TB hospital which is now the Riverside General Hospital. Before penicillin Tuberculosis called consumption then was rampant. I have looked for pictures of Sea Side hospital on the interned and don't seem to find any.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 10:56 pm:

I was born in Seaside Hospital. I didn't take any pictures of it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration