Burnt model T pictures

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Burnt model T pictures
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steve warren on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 02:06 pm:

i finally took some pics of the car. i've sent them to several people today. if you want to see them, email me at stevewarren@drivebedford.com.
ref: fire destroyed the old mitchell motor sales building on new year's eve. an original 26 model t was among the treasures lost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steve warren on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 05:21 pm:

here are the pics of the t

Photo 1 Photo 2Photo 3 Photo 4Photo 5 Photo 6

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 05:28 pm:

Steve, if you can take the driver's side door off I'll give you a fair price for it. its too bad it burned it looked like it was a nice car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald G Victory on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 05:38 pm:

Steve,

The bumpers and the bumper mounts along with the spare tire Y bracket would be worth saving. I have been trying to get one of the Y brackets (ebay) for a few months, and they usually sell for over $150.00. Let us know if you decide to salvage (sell) any of the parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 06:12 pm:

I don't see a car that couldn't be restored here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 07:21 pm:

How sad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 07:58 pm:

Some people Start with less then this. I would Not write this car off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 08:18 pm:

My pick-up didn't look that good when I started my restoration project!
It can be brought back to life, just takes lots of time & money!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 09:04 pm:

Damaged but repairable. i started with maybe 20% or so of that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 09:11 pm:

Do you guys think the trunk and top irons can be salvaged because I might be interested in those too

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 10:09 pm:

not quite a ton of scrape iron.if it was in my yard i'd get some pieces off, but not worth pulling parts, shipping, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 10:50 pm:

Going by the pictures, I would guess that the engine, manifolds, and a lot of other chassis parts could be saved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 10:55 pm:

I would say speedster running gear and salvageable body parts.Metal got purty hot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 11:18 pm:

Problem is that a lot of the sheet parts have lost strength as they have been heated up to the remperatures where that happens.
Agree that power unit may be salvagable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Elenbaas - Granger, Washington on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 12:04 am:

I don't think it got as hot as this one.
Was restored just waiting for upholstery. Engine rebuilt never run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 12:07 am:

Looks like it really cooked. Looks like quite a few salvageable parts. If one were up to the challenge, it could be restored, but it would be more than a few bundles of work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 12:14 am:

The 26 is bad enough, but seeing a brass era T cremated like that is super sad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 12:52 am:

I have restored several cars from piles worse than either of those.
The '26 roadster got hot enough that the radiator fins burned away leaving the bottom 2/3 of the tubes in place. The top 1/3 of the tubes and top tank also melted away. Most of the steel is probably restoreable (I would bet I could save the windshield posts, not sure about the frame). The bearings may be ruined, and probably the pistons if they are aluminum.
I would consider it if it were within a couple hundred miles of me and the price was reasonable.
I believe the one James E posted pictures of is a '14 runabout? I would love to have it! Note how the aluminum hogshead is gone on it.
Shame. Both of them.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 01:00 am:

May be the quality of the vanadium steel would be a little compromised after that sort of heat!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 10:45 am:

Ooooohhhh. Poor Lizzie's seen better days...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 11:22 am:

Slight thread drift....
There were 3 cars burned up in a garage fire in Seaford Del. over the weekend.
I could not find any info on what they were....??
Afraid one or more may have been a T but no confirmation. Any one else hear of this? Info?

I have to agree with some of the comments here, unless Lizzie is melted into a puddle she's restorable only a matter of time and money.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 11:47 am:

I bought a new car in 89 and while they were getting it ready somebody in the shop dropped a piece of pipe that skinned the side of the car, so while it was in the paint shop getting repaired, they had a fire and totaled my new car a Chevrolet Caprice Classic Broughm, so i took the one they had on display, i had a 72 Ford company car that just burnt up in the parking lot at work never found out why.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Elenbaas - Granger, Washington on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 12:03 pm:

Here is the 14 runabout in the garage. Fire dept. said to melt the aluminum it had to get to 1200 plus degrees. As you can see on the previous pictures it did that inside the engine to the pistons. The bottom of the pan was a big slug of aluminum around the flywheel.
The car behind the T was a 1929 Rolls Limo
Then behind that a Cadillac V16 limo with a complete extra engine and tranny.

Speedster Axle???

29 Rolls Limo, Body by Darrin and Hibbard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 12:16 pm:

James,

My goodness that painful. Not much left of those 3.The Rolls was a super looking car. Shame. I once knew a gentleman in New Bern NC that had a Silver Ghost burn. It lost all of it's coachwork (aluminum panels and wood frame) but the chassis was OK and still ran. It was completely restored.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 01:06 pm:

You guys do know that people willingly anneal sheet metal with oxyacetylene when doing panelbeating to make the metal easier to work right? Industriousness, Ingenuity and elbow grease could save the world. i would adopt a car like that if i had the room and money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 05:12 pm:

did the fire department even put water on that garage fire? My gosh.
Chimney savers for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Elenbaas - Granger, Washington on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 07:09 pm:

Mack,
The fire happened at night and was not seen until it was through the shake roof. There were high winds at the time and it was like a blast furnace with the concrete block walls. They believe it was started by a light ballast.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration