How long does it takes to stop doing newbie mistakes?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: How long does it takes to stop doing newbie mistakes?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewitt on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 02:47 pm:

Well, I owned a 26 roadster for several years and all this time restoration is progressing slowly. To make a long story short. My wife bought me a running and driving 26 fordor. Although I've owned one but have never driven a T. Needless to say fitting if off was a very fast and sure made people scatter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 02:54 pm:

After a lot of time and experience you can graduate to making old fart mistakes. I'm afraid it never stops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 03:00 pm:

55 years isn't long enough...I'm still waiting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 03:03 pm:

I never outgrew zits, why should I stop stepping in it regularly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 03:05 pm:

Another thing that occurred to me is that the number of problems you have starting and driving a Model T increases proportionately with the number of people watching you. You will have better luck learning at home alone or on a quiet road than in a crowd.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 06:44 pm:

It is a law. They will not "hand crank" with an audience. (stupid law to)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 09:15 pm:

Same deal with small aircraft.
If you make a hard landing and bounce down the runway there will be at least 50 people watching.
If you grease it on perfectly no one will see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 09:40 pm:

I think that the oldies just don't tell fellow t'ers of there (newbies mistakes). So to the newbies we've all made these mistakes, just some
members cover them up better. To error is human,
to lie about it O well you no the game.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 11:21 pm:

I was going to say when your in the ground but then I thought about it, you could still end up going the wrong way! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 10:49 am:

You'll continue committing newbie mistakes until dementia kicks in then you'll enter the oldbie mistakes phase. At 60, I expect to enter the latter stage any day now. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 11:05 am:

Jim has hit it on the head. As they say, the only way to not make any mistakes is to do nothing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 11:12 am:

And the other phrase of which I am fond is: "If you think you aren't making mistakes, you're not paying close enough attention".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 11:21 am:

Or Zachary, A variation of what Henry said: "If you aren't making mistakes, you're not doing anything. LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 12:36 pm:

Richard and John,

Speaking of cranking with an audience......
In 2009 the local newspaper was doing an article about restoring my T.

I thought I'd show them how they were hand cranked in the old days. Ignition on, fuel on, choked a couple of times but no start. Finally I am soaked with sweat and give up. Newspaper people leave and I discover that the tank is empty.

I restored my first T in the late 70's. Still doing newbie stuff.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 12:48 pm:

John said "They will not Hand Crank with an audience".
Mine did the opposite. I have a 1912 touring car and was on a T tour. A local newspaper man was there and we talked. I told him that my car was hand cranked only. He wanted to take pictures of me doing that. I went to the car and set the spark and throttle, than I hand cranked the engine one turn with the choke out.
After that I turned the ignition switch to "Bat".
That was when the news man quit believing me, The 1912 gave me a "FREE" start. I think he believed the car had a starter after that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 01:14 pm:

As the man who sold me my "T" said " I will teach you the basics of driving a "T", From that point going forward you and your "T" will come to an understanding of what is and is not acceptable and your "T" is not above embarrassing you in public"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 05:52 pm:

Model Ts do have hearts and minds and feelings of their own. (I believe that) They also believe that after a hundred years, working hard, and changing the world, they have earned the right to do as they want.

As to the original subject line of this thread. I have been playing with these things for over 45 years now. Ask me in another 20 years if I am still making "newbie mistakes".
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration