Old Photo, another fire T, 1921?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo, another fire T, 1921?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 08:27 pm:

South Chelmsford Fire Station on the right was a former school house with a door added to accommodate fire apparatus
Note: Auto Truck No. 5 in the foreground was not purchased until 1921
(Chelmsford Fire Department Collection)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 06:57 am:

From memory, I believe that is a typical American LaFrance chemical car layout, although other makers may have had a similar one. But the three extinguishers one tall and three short on the running board and the mounting of the bell reminds me of ALF. I've misplaced my copy of "Firefighting with Henry's Model T" so I cannot verify that at the moment. If someone else recognized which company produced the vehicle please let us know.

Note the front crank visible through the front wheel was introduced sometime during 1914 production and continued to 1921. 1922 model year switched to the 1922-1927 style crank. Ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/C-D.htm#crank

Wishbone is under the front axle which was introduced during 1919 ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/F-H.htm#fr1

And since it was acquired in 1921 then that narrows down the range to 1921.

Thanks for posting the photo and thanks to all of you for sharing so many great photos.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 08:06 am:

Can't tell for sure, but doesn't quite look like a TT chassis either, so that should put it pre-'17, right? Looks like "standard" de-mountables on the rear. My TT fire truck has those large rims, short heavy, stubby spokes on the rear. I suppose though, that not every fire truck from '17 on had to be on a TT chassis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 02:03 pm:

Tim,

That's not a TT chassis. You are correct in that not all fire trucks were on a TT chassis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 04:26 pm:

The probelm is that ALF used the same body from about 1912 until 1925.

Then too, O. J. Childs made an almost identical unit in New York State from about 1915 until 1924.

Here is a Massachusetts 1924 ALF Model T that was in the book that Hap could not find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 07:43 pm:

Here is a 1915 O. J. Childs fire car that was the same as a 1924.

Side

The rear lantern position and the angle iron chemical tank frame are the big differences or easy give aways.

Rear

Both the ALF and O J Childs companies were near each other in New York State and the bodies may have been made by the same company.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration