OT - Early Piquette Plant photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - Early Piquette Plant photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 08:49 am:

This is online, and credited to "The Henry Ford."

Model B cars nearing completion at Piquette:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 12:21 pm:

What ever became of the Piquette Plant restoration? I have not heard anything since some one said they wanted to restore the property.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 01:01 pm:

It will be open for tours again in about six weeks.

http://milwaukeejunction.org/ford-piquette-avenue-plant-now-open-for-tours/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 01:32 pm:

No wonder they only built 250 of them. Everybody is standing around watching them go down the assembly line!

Nice photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 02:12 pm:

Seth,

They built 500 Model B, mostly during model year 1905 ( Oct 1904-Sep 1905). I noticed they have radiators sitting on the right, waiting for the next batch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 02:13 pm:

Kevin,

The restoration is going along well. The roof over the front bay has been replaced and no longer leaks. Recreation of Henry's office is just about finished.

As soon as I get a picture or two downloaded form my phone, I'll post them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 02:13 pm:

I should have said "Dennis", not your last name, sorry..... :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 02:17 pm:

Rob

Shouldn't you be working or did you take the day off?

I am going to have to go back and tour it again, what with Henry's office, etc. I bet I could spend a whole day there just looking around at the plant and the cars. Just the way they fireproofed the floors is very interesting. Would love to see the first floor, too. Maybe Jerry can give me a personal tour.

The next mystery to be solved is where in the plant was the above photo taken? What floor and what direction were they facing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 02:35 pm:

Dave,

Looks like the First Floor. Finished cars getting ready to ship. If we can get a sharper print, we should be able to identify the ceiling beams to nail it down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 02:49 pm:

Thomas,
I see the graffiti "artists" don't respect the historic building, shame after getting all that brickwork repointed.
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 03:03 pm:

David,

Dick Rubens of the Piquette Plant had a discussion with the local "guild of Graffiti Artists" and they came to an understanding. They will leave the Piquette Plant alone. So far it seems to be working. They thought the building was abandoned and therefore available for tagging.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 03:20 pm:

Rob, ever seen any images of the K being assembled in the factory?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 03:23 pm:

Dave,

Hard to get any work done with all this "good stuff" going on. I'm on the road today for the most part.

For anyone interested, we (the Early Ford Registry) are planning a "mini tour" on the Tuesday and Wednesday before the Dearborn to Lansing tour (and Old Car Festival) next summer. On one of those days, I believe we will abandon our antique cars and take a van or two and visit the early Ford sites including Piquette. Currently, we are also thinking off driving by or a stopping at the following locations too (this is all tentative):

1343 Cass (old address, I don't know if it changed) where The Detroit Automobile Company and The Henry Ford Company were located.

The former location of "Ford Manufacturing" (later the "Six Cylinder Plant"), 773 Bellevue, just off Mack and Bellevue.

The former Aeorocar Plant (later the Hudson plant).

Possibly the Dodge Brothers site, wherever it was located.

I think by driving to these sites along with a tour of Piquette, we'll have a much better idea of the logistics involved moving parts and cars between these various sites, before Highland Park brought much of the Ford's car building efforts under one roof.

I expect we'll announce this when we finalize something so anyone who wishes is able to come along or meet us along the way.

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 03:33 pm:

Erich,

I don't recall any. I have a few photos of 07/08 Model K being turned out of the "Six Cylinder Plant" off Mack and Bellevue. It's taken from outside, and one can see a Model K in front, along with a K or two inside. A few NRS and wagon with horses are also in the pic (I'll post if I find it later).

I did recently find this K pic (and thought this as good a place as any to post it before "losing it" among all the others in my lousy filing system). Two Model K loaded with attorneys are following one of the Selden patent car on a track: the second K is mostly hidden from view by the Selden car:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 04:23 pm:

Rob,

I'm not sure so maybe I shouldn't say but, I believe Mack & Belleview was the Mack Ave. plant. Not sure if it's where the "Six Cylinder Plant" site is/was.

Let me know when you're planning your visit to Piquette & surroundings. I may be able to set you up with a "tour guide" that can tell you every last detail about those sites. Be sure to visit Henry Ford's gravesite as well, if haven't been there yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 04:30 pm:

Jerry,

The "old" address was 773 Bellevue for Ford Manufacturing, later becoming the The Six Cylinder Factory building. I read somewhere that it was just south (memory?) of Bellevue and Mack. A mutual EFR friend went by and said there is nothing there now (well, one scrawny pheasant).

Yes, we would like any "tour guides" (including you). Fellow EFR members Dan W. and Rick L. are in charge of lining things up. I'll ask them to get a hold of you, or by all means give either a call or email.

See you at Chickasha,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 04:34 pm:

Rob,

O.K., that makes sense.

I'm pretty sure Dan & Rick know Mike Skinner. He's the guy I had in mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 04:35 pm:

Rob,

You can call me Seth or Dennis I've been called a lot worse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Partington on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 04:56 pm:

My son grandson & my mate & I visited Piquette last year while in the US for the Speedster reunion. We also visited a number of Ford historic sites including the Ford graves etc etc staying at the Dearborn plus of course the HF. We can't understand why you over there don't visit Dearborn often we sure would if we had such wonderful opportunities as you guys do,your such lucky buggers and don't know it.I have been three times and hope to again before I fall off the perch.Don't miss it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 05:32 pm:

Doug,
We would welcome you and your mates this late summer. With an Early Ford Tour, Dearborn to Lansing Tour, and Old Car Festival all sandwiched together, it should be a wonderful six or seven days.

Jerry,
This what I have. Maybe you and some of the other area guys will recognize some of these locations.

The internet tells me 773 Bellevue is where the purple pin is:

From the board of directors minutes (The Henry Ford, Acc 512), Ford Motor Company agreed to rent space at the new Dodge Brothers facility at Brush and Jefferson. I don't know if Dodge moved their entire operation, or if this was an additional facility. It would be good to learn more about this, and visit this and/or the original Dodge Brothers site:

If it's nearby, it might be interesting to locate 1343 Cass Ave. where the Detroit Automobile Company and Henry Ford Company were:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 08:31 pm:

I spent all day at the Piquette plant last August. Went on 3 of their tours - learned something new from each one! And spent most of the day on the 2nd floor on my own just absorbing the text of every exhibit. Really learned a lot about my Model 20 Hupp from their original example there. .. . .I'll be back.

PS. So thats what the Selden vehicle looked like! Looks more like a scissor lift for parking lot bulbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 08:41 pm:

I got to visit the Piquette Plant for an afternoon in 2012 when I spent a week at the Benson Research Center. We got a guided tour by one of the docents there at the time and learned a lot. I definitely will visit it again when I'm in that area. It is hallowed ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 08:57 pm:

It's good that restoration is being done at Piquette, I just hope it doesn't get over restored so that it looks like a phony tourist trap. What I liked about Piquette was how original and untouched it looked right down to what appears to be the original paint. Standing alone in there made it feel like Henry and his men had merely stopped for lunch break. You could hold up an old photo and it was clear if you were on the right floor and facing the right way. I gotta go back there this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 10:51 pm:

A little better pic of the six cylinder plant (except for the page break), formerly Ford Manufacturing. You can see a Model K set up for testing before the body is added, a Model NRS used as a truck, along with a couple delivery wagons and one horse. A Model K wheel and tire can be seen inside the first floor door:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 12:26 am:

Great stuff!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 01:17 am:

Rob,
I believe the Dodge Brothers plant was in the Boydell Building on the southwest corner of Lafayette and Beaubien in downtown Detroit. Still there, now a restaurant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 03:22 am:

Thomas,

Maybe we've found our lunch stop. How far would you say that is from Piquette?

Thank you,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 07:31 am:

Prototype Model B's - Mack avenue Maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 07:35 am:

Model C and Model B, in the testing building beside Piquette.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 07:38 am:

Here is the shipping room at Piquette.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 04:58 pm:

This may be the bay on the right of the first photo. I think they are Model B chassis just beginning assembly. You can see one assembled car on the left and another far back on the left:

From the Collections of The Henry Ford, Copy and Reuse Restrictions Apply

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 06:58 pm:

Rob,
Do You or Anyone else have a better resolution of the "Six Cylinder Factory" photo above?
I'm interested in the Back View of the car in the Front Left Corner - looks like it might be the back of a T Coupe??? Note the Rounded trunk
-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 07:10 pm:

Don,

I don't have a good copy. I've thought it was an N or S with top up, and the pointed trunk. Hopefully we'll find a good copy some day,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 07:13 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 07:14 pm:

Maybe an S coupe (or T), it looks like a rigid large back window?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 09:12 pm:

The Piquette Plant is one of my "bucket list" things to do. I had a chance to go to the Ryman Auditoriam (Grand Old Opry" a few years ago. Just standing there was almost a religious moment. You could just "feel" the history. I have a feeling the Piquette Plant will be the same feelings of pure history.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 12:27 am:

Donnie,
When I stood on the stage of the Ryman, I stepped up to the microphone and said,
"I just flew in from California, and boy are my arms tired!"
The guide just rolled her eyes.
Yes, it was being in a holy site, as was the rest of our week, riding the Delta Queen Steamboat to Cincinnati ( A BIG item on my Bucket List).DQ at Cincinnati
(That's my wife,Linda, holding the far end of the banner)
Rollers
Only a sternwheeler has this "wake" called, "Rollers"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 05:37 pm:

ROb

According to the Sanborn Maps, Vol 4 Sheet 100 No. 773 Bellevue, Detroit, Michigan, was renumbered as 3195.

Here is a screen capture of the pertinent area of that sheet.

773 Beellevue Detroit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 05:48 pm:

Tom,
According to Google Maps, this the address:

Any idea how far this would be from the Piquette plant?

Great work, thank you (this puts you in front runner status for our tour guide of Detroit next summer :-) ),

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 08:12 pm:

Looks like about 3.5 miles. Not far. Looks a bit rundown however.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 10:03 pm:

I've also heard the large building in the Piquette Plant yard was used for Model K work. Engines I think. Looking for my picture of the yard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 10:18 pm:

Thomas, one of the buildings in the yard was the "testing building" as I understand it. Royce posted a partial pic of it with a Model F (or C) and B. I've read accounts of employees who said there was no outside ventilation, and that they weren't aware of the hazards of carbon monoxide. One account said Henry Ford recommended an employee with a breathing problem spend some time in the testing room because the CO would help. Full pic:

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 06:41 am:

Another shot of Piquet from the side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 08:19 am:

I wonder what type of engine was used in the power house? Bud in Wheeler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 09:05 am:

Actually David, we have a car/passenger ferry on Lake Erie that has a very similar "roller wake" to the sternwheeler. Weirdest thing when you first see it. This ferry has four engines, one mounted pretty much on each corner of the boat, in a "Z drive" configuration. It also puts out a much smaller "standard wake" along with the rollers. Sure like the pics you posted of the sternwheeler..always had a passion for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 02:48 pm:

Bud,

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the steam engine from the Piquette plant still exists. I'm thinking H.F. Museum has it. (Again, that's if I'm not mistaken)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 03:42 pm:

Thanks Jerry!!! Bud.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration