ZZZZZZING - Zunk! Oops.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: ZZZZZZING - Zunk! Oops.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 10:52 pm:

I guess this is just a reminder to us all that with better weather coming and the Model Ts being used more, we gotta remember to take it easy on the parking brake/clutch ratchet.
One morning at 0530, while getting ready for a run, I turned away to close the garage, and when I turned back, the Speedster was gone! It had rolled down my driveway, across the street and up into the driveway across the street, just missing two cars by two-feet!
The teeth on my bracket were all worn-down from dragging the pawl across them for the past few years. Later, I spent a lot of time filing the teeth back into the bracket so that it wouldn't jump out and release the parking brake like that again.
That taught me to squeeze the handle and then release it when the lever was all the way back, instead of dragging it across the teeth, chipping them away. teeth on brake I hope this reminder will save you guys some grief!
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 10:55 pm:

Wow, glad to hear you missed having a serious accident. Good reminder, thanks,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 11:01 pm:

C-h-o-c-k-s...and a good point on the lever and some 'teeth' on the bracket.

My driveway has a hill to it...once upon a time one of the slabs decided to heave up about 3/4 of an inch, like a saw tooth to the upper slab. Heave in a way that the crack now is a built in chock for the slow roll :-) So I have never bothered getting it fixed...

The missus doesn't like it as she keeps forgetting and going splat...but the T's like it, they only roll so far and stop :-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 07:45 pm:

Aren't Model T's just too funny!

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 11:22 pm:

My da had an adventure like that. He got lazy or over thought something. I don't need those brake rods, I've got my new Rockies on! Well , my cousin was at the lake with his family for vacation so dad decided to run over and give everybody a ride in his T. Pulls up to the rental hopes out and throws a cliff rock under the R rear. Engine idling since his ring gear was shot.(That's another story) Car was on an ever so slight incline. Gathers the kids together, goes out the door and NO T !?!? My dad had no problem expressing his exasperation in front of my cousin (the parson) "Oh GOD d__t !! The car split the rock went down the hill, around the bend ,out of site, rolled up on someones' lawn and climbed the front porch , were it came to rest. Engine was just chugging away, no overheating or damage to porch or car. Dad hopped into the car and beat a hasty retreat. Didn't even leave a note . Feeling bad the parson left a note. Well, the kids never did get a ride, parents didn't trust the car or my dad's driving. Dad finally relented to putting on the rods when his engine builder refused to do his engine if he didn't agree to put the rods back on. My cousin still loves to tell the story and his wife always frowns (Not with my kids you're not).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 09:41 am:

Rob you are real lucky to say the least! That's just another reminder to keep a mental checklist on these cars we like to restore and drive.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration