OT-Survey time change

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT-Survey time change
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 07:19 am:

As we get ready for the semi-annual pain in the patotie, I just wondered if anyone else felt like me and wishes that they would just pick a time they like set the clocks and leave them alone! At home it is not too bad 2 cars the microwave the stove and my wrist watch at work I have to reset access systems reset camera record times database updates etc.....! And don't give me the load about Farmers blah, blah, blah.. Farmers get up about 2 hours before sunrise and go to bed when the work is done not before (ranchers too) I know this from experience. Can we start a petition to end this silliness?melted clocks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 07:31 am:

You got my vote! I absolutely HATE the spring time change of course, for some reason, "losing" that hours sleep drags on for me for at least a week. Maybe it's all in my head, but it really wipes me out. Fall change, not so bad, but even it messes me up a bit for a week later.
I've always felt too, that being on the far western edge of Eastern time, we ought to really be in the Central zone anyway. I really don't like a 6 A.M. sunrise anymore, let alone going to bed in July when it's still a bit of daylight left!
You don't REALLY tow that trailer with that '27, right? LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 07:43 am:

no that one was 36ft, but the Airstream people have a drawing of someone towing one with a bicycle so I thought it would be a one up-man-ship type of thing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 08:13 am:

I say we split the difference 30 minutes and then just leave it alone. The lack of time change while I lived in Hawaii was really nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 08:19 am:

Just got my pickup clock reset last week from the last time change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steve miller- mississauga,ontario on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 08:19 am:

Tim,
According to your profile you are retired!! Why bother with the time change.
Do as I and set your clocks to Daylight savings time and just leave it forever. In the summer you will be on time and during the winter you'll be an hour early. No big deal.
I haven't changed my clocks in years

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 09:36 am:

My grandfather was a farmer and he NEVER changed his watch or clocks for such silliness.

I believe daylight savings time was a concept promoted by Benjamin Franklin in 1784 when He published an essay titled “An Economical Project for Diminishing the Cost of Light” that proposed to economize the use of candles by rising earlier to make use of the morning sunlight.

We have lived past that concept. It's time (pardon the pun) to drop it altogether!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 09:51 am:

There was an urban legend that when an Indian Chief (Possibly in Arizona) had Daylight Saving Time concept explained to him remarked that only the White Politician could think you could cut one foot off the end of a blanket sew it to the other end and expect the people to believe you had a longer blanket. I have not been able to verify this but it sounds right!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 09:58 am:

I set my clock back,
and found this in my garage.

Thanks to Aaron Griffey for the idea, after a guy in the parking lot of Home Debt yelled, "You were supposed to set your clock back only an hour!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 10:01 am:

I don't know anyone who likes the time change. Why do we do something that no one likes? I suppose the argument would be "which time do we keep?" I personally would like to stay on daylight savings time year 'round, as we are on the edge of the time zone in Spokane and it gets dark at 4:00 p.m. in December.

Tim, it is NOT in your head. You are actually suffering from jet-lag, along with 200 million other people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Floyd Voie - Chehalis, Washington on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 11:18 am:

I used to work for the Railroad in Western Montana. The RR Division Point was Paradise, Montana. That is where the RR changed time zones but the locals didn't. So if you were talking to a non-railroader you always had to be sure of the intended time because some would convert the time for you, knowing you worked for the RR. Rather confusing at times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 11:25 am:

I am with the pick a time and leave it group.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 11:27 am:

I agree that "they" should leave the time alone.
How stupid to change it back and forth twice a year, for no good reason. We have 23 different clocks and timers that have to be changed.
About 40 years ago Britian tried "Double daylight savings time", the time was 1 hour ahead for 1/2 the year and 2 hours ahead for the rest of the year. It was supposed to save energy, when they finally figured out that it didn't they cancelled it and went to "regular" DST.
I understand that the main reason for DST is that it's supposed to save energy, but most studies fail to show that it doesn't to any significant amount.
Here's one from Scientific American: http://www.nber.org/papers/w14429

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 11:46 am:

Indiana left the time alone for a hundred yrs. and after I left, about ten yrs. ago, they started changing it to be with Ohio.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 12:03 pm:

I love daylight savings time, and hate standard time.

DST gives me more daylight in the evening while I'm at home. When I set it back to standard time, I gain daylight in the morning while I'm at work, and lose it in the evening when I have stuff I'd like to do outside.

I really don't care how much light I have in the morning, I work indoors anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 12:13 pm:

Now that I'm retired, I rarely have to be anywhere at a certain time, so the time change makes no difference to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 12:18 pm:

I'm for the "summer hours" and leave it there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 12:34 pm:

OK...somebody start a petition and I'll sign it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 12:37 pm:

Didn't Nixon try this back in the 70's and got the stuff kicked out of him for it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 12:46 pm:

I can hardly wait! I like it lighter in the afternoons and evenings, in fact I would like a new computerized clock which sets to where it always gets dark at 9:00 PM all year around. The sunrises would have to change each day and the last few minutes in the day would be either longer or shorter depending on the position of the Earth to the sun. It just happens that we have a tour to Sierra Vista AZ the week the clock changes and since Arizona does not change to daylight time, I will set the watches when we get there and then won't need to again when we get home.

Southern California gets cheated on daylight in the evenings because we are so far east we are almost to the mountain time zone. As you travel north in California, you not only get nearer the arctic circle, but you also move west. Some people don't know it, but Reno is actually farther west than Los Angeles!

Anyway, I wouldn't mind being on daylight time all year around.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 12:49 pm:

Why have time zones at all?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 12:57 pm:

Why have days of the week, months in a year or years listed for that matter. Lets just all bump and bob around and show up at any time we please. Oh wait why have time at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 01:05 pm:

You guys surprise me with talk of no time at all. A group with the experience of this crowd must know that time is necessary so everything won't happen at once! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 01:26 pm:

By doing away with time zones, everybody will be on Universal Coordinated Time, or GMT.

Business hours work just as well when listed as 0200-1100 instead of 0800-1700, 8am-5pm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 01:42 pm:

Years ago I had an early, pre 1865 Japanese clock that among it's many strange features it had one stationary hand that the 24 numbers revolved around, half were black for night and half were light silver for daytime. Apparently only wealthy people could afford these handmade works of art and the purchase price included the clockmaker resetting the movable numerals twice a year to adjust for the time changes.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 01:42 pm:

I dunno Ralph. History tells us that in the absence of time zones there is a marked increase in train wrecks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 01:52 pm:

No time zones on airplane traffic would be great. Come to think of it, with all the cancellations lately, maybe it has already started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 02:01 pm:

Why don't we compromise, split the difference and set everything 1/2 hour ahead and leave it that way. Makes no less sense than what we do now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 02:04 pm:

Of course I was kidding in my train wreck comment. Seriously, perhaps "local time" is a concept we have outgrown. With all the modern technology it would be easier for everyone, I think, if we all used GMT. Ralph's right. There's no magic in an "8:00 - 5:00" business day. We are just hanging on to a concept that was born in ignorance of to how day and night occur.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 02:35 pm:

Nepal and the Chatham Islands have a 45 min. offset from the rest of their region.

Just sayin...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 03:42 pm:

I'll bet there are old retired railroaders like me here on the forum that remember the days when railroads would not honor "daylight savings time" and when DST came into use, the railroads continued to use ONLY standard time for several years! Talk about a "PITA" and confusion!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 03:59 pm:

In fact (to explain a bit further) the "confusion" often started even before the railroader got to work! My Dad, a RR Switchman on the IHB RR in Chicago, was "subject to call",...24/7. Because my Mom never slept a soundly as Dad, Mom always answered the phone.

When Dad, especially as a young guy without many "whiskers" (seniority) was "bucking the extra board" and got called for work, (at all times of day and night) Mom would answer the phone, and then wake up my Dad after she got his lunch bucket packed and his "breakfast/dinner/supper",...whatever ready, she'd wake Dad up and tell him something like,...."wake up,....you're called for the 3:59am switch engine". When finally awake enough to think about it (in those days, the hours-of-service law was 16 hrs max, and Dad rarely got enough sleep) Dad would ask her, usually several times,....."is that 3:59am your time or my time?"

So for those that think "DST" is a "pain", railroaders hated it even more than most people in those days!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 04:09 pm:

We lived in Somerset KY for a few years and it is near the time zone boarder. People used to talk about fast time and slow time when discussing when something started.

It did not get dark until around 10 PM in the summer so I could get home from work have dinner and then take the boat out for a ride and still be home before sunset.

If I made a mistake all I had to do drive 10 minutes to the next time zone and have a second chance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 04:22 pm:

Where I work is a country bigger in square miles than USA.

It has one time zone and NO daylight savings time!

Farmers are farmers and do that dawn to dusk thing ...

Industry (local) just shifts the work-day hours for the season. October 1 to May 1 might be 8-5 with an hour for lunch...May 1 to October 1 might be 730-1130/1-5. (The employees 'vote' each year on what may sound vogue for working hours. One year it was 730-1130/2-6 and that made for a short evening as light goes because it gets to be dusk at about 8 in the evening in summer, but was a nice mid-day experience since just about everybody lived within a mile or so of the company). They also have May 1 and October 1 as paid holidays...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 05:06 pm:

Only thing that would make it worse is if we had to change the timing on our Ts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 05:14 pm:

Hey Erich...haven't you figured out the left lever on the steering column?
That's the one on the same side as your watch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 05:19 pm:

Bob, I have been using that to signal for turns..........no wonder it has been so ineffective.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 05:48 pm:

Up here daylight savings time is a joke. In the summer, we have loads of daylight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 07:49 pm:

I guess I don't mind it all that much. I do like the extra daylight hours at the end of the day to get chores done. That first few days of the switch is kinda tough to adjust to though. One way or the other; the sun will rise, deer will roam the woods, fish swim in the waters, and Happy Hour is happening someplace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 09:06 pm:

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Stitt-Southern Oregon on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 12:10 am:

I am not a fan of night driving and particularly in my T or A.
I can't wait for longer afternoons and early evenings. For the rest there is Arizona..<smile>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 07:41 am:

Barry I spent 2.5 years in Fairbanks (B4 Pipeline) after a short visit to someplace in south east Asia (Frying pan to freezer)Enjoyed land of the midnight sun fishing and all the summer things, didn't care too much for land of the midday moon being a native Floridian, One of these days I intend to visit Eagle River, Nome, Greely, and Fairbanks again. Beautiful Country up there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 11:08 am:

I posted the above before I heard this morning's news. Now I believe it even more strongly. We need a new clock where it gets dark at 9:00 PM all year around, but after this morning's news, I think 10:00 or 11:00 would be even better.

The reason for this is that the San Diego Gas and Electric Co. wants to bill for electric usage according to the time of day of usage. They are now proposing the highest rates from 2:00 PM to 9:00 PM. Those are the hours when the solar panels begin to wane and are no longer of use after dark. Those hours are also the time when working people come home and do their laundry and cook or turn on the heat or air conditioners.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 11:42 am:

Sounds more like solar panel folks need to invest in batteries.

Aren't the solar panels putting juice back into the system? I would think if they were then the electric company is operating with next to no effort during the day - then from 2 to 9 they actually have to do a little something. Ridiculous that they want to raise prices.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 01:24 pm:

I work from 7:00am to 3:30pm, so I can use all the afternoon sun I can get to work around the house when I get home, so naturally, I prefer the longer working days with the extra hour of afternoon daylight. Let the mornings stay dark longer as I am sleeping then anyway and get no benefit from the extra hour of early morning change. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 02:34 pm:

I always thought it was funny when dairy folks said the time change confused the cows. Actually they're not confused at all. They know what time it really is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 04:39 pm:

The British Navy made a real advancement in navigation when they were able to put a clock aboard ship that would tell them the time in Greenwich. They could then compare to local noon, to determine their longitude.

Or something like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 04:53 pm:

Ralph - Good to see you posting here!

You bring up a very interesting point about an "advancement" that was absolutely "huge" in respect to the advancement of mankind. Only thing I would add to what you said is the word,...."ACCURATE". This is to say,.....the "accurate" time in Greenwich. When a chronometer was developed that would maintain "accurate" time, even on a ship subjected to ocean storms, etc, it was THEN possible to determine the ships "EXACT" position with respect to both latitude and longitude, considering that a few seconds of inaccuracy would involve many "MILES" (knots in nautical terms) of error.

Just thought I'd elaborate a bit on your interesting post Ralph,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 05:35 pm:

A little more drift-

Harold.

Having served in the USN as a Quartermaster (navigation not supplies as in other services) one of my duties was to wind the chronometers and log the reading against GMT based on the radio station WWV broadcast of the "nuclear clock" time in Fort Collins, CO. (It's the real time. accurate within some infinitesimal fraction of a second every century or so.) .

The trick was consistency, more than accuracy. Even though the chronometers (we carried 3) had a daily error, it was consistent. We'd log it and when we'd take a celestial "fix", we'd adjust for the error based on the log entries. Of course by that time the chronometers were really back-up in case we couldn't get WWV.

Lot's of math in celestial navigation, all of which I've long forgotten, and if you were lucky you'd get at least 3 lines of position (LOP's) that intersected at the same place, thus indicating where you were at the time you took the sightings. (It takes one sextant angle on a known celestial body and the exact time of measurement to get one LOP.)

Of course, the sailors using the first chronometers didn't have a radio or a WWV broadcast, so there was some error in the process, but you're right. It was a HUGE advancement.

Later came LORAN (Long Range Aid to Navigation -radio signals) and then SINS (Ships Inertial Navigation System). Each advancement was a marvel, leaving the previous method in the dust. Now anybody with a cell phone can navigate using GPS and determine an extremely accurate real time position without much effort. When I was in the Navy we would have not even believed it was possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 07:48 pm:

G.R. give me a heads up when you decided to come this way.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration