There are still cars to find out there - Seattle Story

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: There are still cars to find out there - Seattle Story
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 09:39 am:

This story is about a collector with 30 cars sitting mostly outside in the elements who "may" start to thin his collection out. Might be useful for those of you in his area

http://seattletimes.com/html/picturethis/2022948036_northwestwanderingsaweakness forhistoricalbeauties.html?cmpid=2628

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 09:45 am:

Picture of cars sitting outside in the snow (rusting?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 09:52 am:

I sold that T coupe to Dave. He actually drove it in the Montana 500 one year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 10:00 am:

Ouch..
He says, "I get them. I study them. I'm fascinated by them. I don't know what I'll do with them."
..why not sell a few to get funds for a garage?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 10:00 am:

It's too cold for rusting most of the year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 10:04 am:

I suppose it rusts and rots a lot more in Washington state than further inland in Montana?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 10:07 am:

I really fear that all the original unrestored cars will be gone by the time I have the money and time to buy them. I love my T, but I've always wanted a true classic Packard and a "horse collar" Franklin. They are out there now, but what about in 10 years? 20 years?

I tried to use this line of argument with my wife when explaining why I needed to buy a 1925 Franklin I found on Hemmings... no dice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 10:07 am:

Ralph is correct about the rust. Sprague is nearly a desert. Less than 15" of precip. a year avg. Things rust very little. Dave buys and sells all of the time. Mostly buys, but will sell too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 10:11 am:

There is very little moisture and a lot of wind in Sprague, Washington. I would guess that the cars are deteriorating very little setting outside. My Maxwell has been outside for years and the worst damage to it was when I put tarps over it to keep it from snow and rain, it held in the moisture and did more damage in a couple years that had been done in the previous twenty. People who don't live in this dry country are always amazed by how little rust there is on old iron here. Western Washington is a different story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 10:12 am:

When I've seen scenes like this over the years and asked whether the cars are for sale, the usual answer is, "Naw, I'm gonna' fix 'em up one of these days." Meanwhile they sit and rot down to nothing.

This owner says there are only a dozen or so '40 Packard Woodies left. Now that he has left his outside, there are eleven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 10:15 am:

Ok, east of the Cascades most things are different, it seems - there's even a movement to split the state.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Washington

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Sullivan, Powell WY on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 10:34 am:

>>Dave buys and sells all of the time. Mostly buys, but will sell too.

Bought my Ruckstell from him. He sells on eBay also, with his wife doing the listing last I knew. That collection was something to see, and the time with him enjoyable. Very patient with my wife and kids' questions. Oldest thing there were the remnants of a Maxwell. The collection points are viewable via Google earth

Rob Hayen - this is the guy I emailed you about when you were last in Spokane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 02:19 pm:

I know where several are in various conditions but the old guy won't let them go even if they haven't run in years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 02:38 pm:

Hey Tyrone, I sent you a PM but haven't heard from you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 04:26 pm:

Our 1919 was somewhat like that.
The owner would not sell it, even though it was rusting away in a shed.
The guy went to our church and he mentioned that he had it when my Dad drove up in a 1922 fordoor.
Dad talked with him on a regular bases for over a year and he refused to sell it until one day he found a garden tractor he wanted and he called my dad.
A few hours later dad transferred the tractor to the guy and we owned a 1919 T.
The rest is history -

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 04:59 pm:

Anybody know what kind of woodie it is that's been out in the elements? Man that's a shame to let that one go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 05:03 pm:

Just read a little closer what the Woodie is. Boy what a shame to let it rot down.

If the guy would have kept it inside he could have built a nice enclosure or storage bldg.for what he could have sold it for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 05:07 pm:

Heck, even if it was some PVC pipe and thick plastic to at least keep the water off some of the wood.........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 10:48 pm:

When someone wants to buy one of my treasures I tell them to see my wife the day that I die and she will probably give it to them. She say's that when I go she is going to hire the guy with the back hoe that lives down the road and have him dig a big hole to bury it all in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 10:53 pm:

John, tell her not to count her chickens. My mom always assumed she'd be a widow someday, but my dad, who was seven years older, outlived her by two years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 11:12 pm:

People enjoy their cars in their own ways. A few years ago at the Moultrie, GA swap meet, I sold a 46 Ford and delivered it to the yard of an old, empty house way back in the pecan trees in the country and placed it in line between a 51 Ford and a 34 Ford. (There was also a T and an A). The guy now owned the farm and was raised in that house. On weekends he would sit on the porch staring at the row of cars and reminisce. He actually enjoyed his cars more than many folks I've known who kept theirs buried in their garage, always going to do something with them someday. Not what I'd want to do with a car from each decade, but, they were his, and he was enjoying them his way--every weekend!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration