Any idea on Splitdorf and lifter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Any idea on Splitdorf and lifter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 02:42 pm:

I found this new Splitdorf switch and trying to figure out what it goes to
also n.o.s. lifter close to Model T but 1/2" diameter and dimple, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 02:47 pm:

I think that lifter is for a "Y" block from the fifties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 03:06 pm:

The Splitdorf switch would be a general application for whatever you wanted it for. They were sold in catalogs and by parts houses. Usually used to select which set of dry cells for ignition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 03:12 pm:

Jeff is correct. That lifter can be shortened just enough to get rid of the dimple, making it perfect for an NRS Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 04:28 pm:

y block lifters are sometimes used with a rajo head

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 04:34 pm:

That switch was used with a brass mounting ring on Buicks and several other cars in 1906 and '07. Probably a few years earlier and later. The coil boxes had a diamond shaped Splitdorf name tag on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 07:43 pm:

I have a twin coil with a pooched Splitdorf switch. Can't seem to find my photos though.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 08:27 pm:

The first switch without the brass mounting ring is the same as or very similar to the ones used on the 1903-1904 A, AC, and C two cylinder cars. Ref page 2 of 19, chapter 10 "Pate's Early Automobile Encyclopedia." Available from the author at: http://www.earlyfordcars.info/

I'm 80% sure they have been reproduced but I do not know how to easily tell from a photo if it is the same size or a little smaller or larger than the one used on the Fords and many other cars. I would guess it is the same -- but if you have the size we could post that on the Early Ford Registry and folks there would be able to compare it. In 1905 a new style still without the brass ring was used and then the one with the brass ring. Of course Splitdorf would probably sell a customer any switch he wanted that they had.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 08:55 pm:

Same switch on a 2-cyl box.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration