U Joint Ball Cap Wire

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: U Joint Ball Cap Wire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Curry on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 11:34 am:

I have been looking in all my T books and searching the Forum for a diagram that I have seen about wiring the ball cap bottom bolts. Size of wire and method. I just replaced the hogshead, and am putting everything back on a 25. Assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 11:58 am:

Here is a scan of Figure 32 from the Ford service manual showing the ball cap wire. I have a spool of 0.041 inch stainless safety wire that I use for all of locations that need safety wire. I also bought a cheap pair of the special pliers on ebay. They aren't really necessary, but they do make the job quicker and neater looking.

wire001

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 12:04 pm:

You probably already know this, but you want to arrange the wire so that it pulls on each bolt head in the tightening (clockwise) direction.

The wiring job shown in the diagram above would probably not pass muster in a safety wire class.

Here is an example of a better job:

wire002

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Curry on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 05:45 pm:

Mark,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 07:29 pm:

Size of wire and method of winding is absolutely critical to a safe running T. :^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Curry on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 08:50 pm:

What size and type do you recommend? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 09:22 am:

Kidding aside, its only important that the bolts not come loose. Fords method is fine, Mark's is better. I purchased some aircraft quality stainless steel locking wire .032" and .040" thick which I use for about everything on a T that needs it. I think Aircraft Spruce carries it. I've seen baling wire, lock washers under the heads, etc, anything that works is fine.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/safetywire.php?clickkey=4386

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Curry on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 10:13 am:

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 12:38 pm:

Here is a short slide show presentation on good safety wire technique:

http://www.slideshare.net/juandigital/how-to-install-safety-wire-presentation

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Curry on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 12:51 pm:

Great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 03:27 pm:

You only need safety wire on the bottom two bolts. Cotter pins are fine for the top two.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration