OT Pipe Thread Size

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT Pipe Thread Size
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 02:45 pm:

Just checked the fuel tank outlet on my Maxwell and a 1/2 x 20 tap fits it perfectly. Is there pipe fittings this size or is this another part I need a machine shop to custom make?

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 03:11 pm:

Hello Howard. I'm guessing it is a 1/4-18 NPT. A tapered pipe thread would seem appropriate there. I checked my '15 Maxwell tank and it was 1/8-27 so they appears to be different.
Rich

1/4" pipe is a little over 1/2" (.540)
1/8" pipe is a little over 3/8" (.405)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 03:29 pm:

Thanks for the help Richard. I'm pretty sure your right. I found another site with someone asking the same question pertaining to smog plumbing on exhaust manifolds and they came up with the same conclusion so I guess this will be a part that I can buy at the local auto parts store....for a change!

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 03:41 pm:

While you were posting I got off my.....chair and measured the other tank. 1/4 NPT fit nicely in it. Also shown is the earlier tank with a 1/8 plug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 09:18 am:

Remember that most pipe threads are "taper pipe" The hole is a taper and not straight thru like a bolt thread. Do not run the tap in any more than needed. Do not cut new threads. I think most taper thread taps are designed to only use about 1/2 of the threads on the tap to be the correct depth. But that could vary with different tap manufactures.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration